• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat "approach" of a sauce's heat

I've made a couple of sauces now and I've really enjoyed the flavor of them a lot, I just can't seem to get my heat the way I want it. I made a chipotle and cascabel sauce, and a mango hab sauce. Both sauces have a decent amount of heat, but it really doesn't hit until after you've swalloed a couple bites. I'm curious as to what you one does to make the hit more instant or at least more forward without necessarily adding more heat (if that makes any sense), or if just adding more peppers is the way to go. As a reference, in my mango hab sauce, I used 8 orange habs from the supermarket and in total made about 2 cups or so of sauce. The burn was nice, but there was a significant delay. I want the same amount of burn, just sooner. More peppers? Less non-peppers ingredients?

Thanks!!!

Also if you can't find/don't have any tepins/chiltepins, you can usually find pequin/piquin at Mexican grocery stores/tiendas. They're the domesticated version of tepins. Only downside with them is that they have a lot of seeds which can make things a little bitter, and the dried ones are very difficult to deseed.

I have a couple of questions to help formulate a response.
1. What ingredients are you using in your sauces? There are some ingredients the will reduce the heat of a sauce.
2. Are you cooking your sauce, if so, for how long and at what temp? Cooking your sauce is a necessary part of making your sauce but can also reduce your heat.
3. What us the percentage of peppers being used verses other ingredients? If your only using 8 orange Habs that you picked up at Krogers or Publix then you could easily double or triple that amount with no problem. I usually ferment a gallon of ingredients at a time and that might typically include between 1 1/2 to 3 pounds of peppers.

Cheers,
RM

So far I use carrots, onions and garlic as a base. Saute in olive oil until carrots are tender and onions translucent. Then that goes into the food processor along with what ever chilis, vinegar, lemon/lime juice, and fruit I'm using. Then once smooth (or at least as smooth as it will get) it's back in the pan over medium heat to cook it down a bit, adjust flavor with salt, pepper, and other seasoning. And then water to get the consistency I want. That last bit is probably all of five minutes.

The time I used chipotle and cascabel's I rehydrated the chilis and made something of a paste out of them before adding the chili to the base. Then I used the water I rehydrated them in during the consistency phase.

Most recent hab sauce I went with 13 habs instead of 8 plus used a little chili oil and cayenne powder. That made quite a noticeable difference.

That's a good base for a sauce. Not too sure o. The use of oil though as oils can cause a sauce to foul quicker. Next time you make sauce try rough chopping everything, place in a pot a d fill with water till veggies are just covered. Cook over meek um heat till carrots are tender. Remove from heat and run through a blender till smooth return sauce to stove and simmer another 30 mins then repeat blender so sauce is nice and smooth. Add water to find consistency you want and heat to 190 degrees F for 15 mi utea then bottle. If the temp falls below 185 while bottling reheat to 190.

As for the heat use more peppers and leave the seeds and placenta in. It'll be a good heat then.

Cheers, :beer:

RM :cool:

Back