beer ASK WHEEBZ

I mean its basically pilsner malt, cara-pils/dextrin malt, and some super light crystal malt, probably 2-3%

use a german lager yeast, german pilsner, ferment it at 54-55, raise temp up for diacetyl rest at 60% attenuation, and package it in green bottles, like Grolsch bottles, to get the authentic light struck taste

Dear Wheebz:

I have a yeast question for you.  All of my batches have been in the 2-2.5 gallon size.  I have used Us-05 for all of them except the brew down brew.  I used that Belle Saison yeast.  It was also the first time I fermented at temps higher than the 67-69f range.  The Belle Saison yeast had bubble activity in the blow off tube for about 10 days.  Every time I have used the US-05 there are no bubbles after 4-5 days.  Is it the yeast or was it the higher temperature 78f, that caused the prolonged fermentation?

tctenten said:
Dear Wheebz:

I have a yeast question for you.  All of my batches have been in the 2-2.5 gallon size.  I have used Us-05 for all of them except the brew down brew.  I used that Belle Saison yeast.  It was also the first time I fermented at temps higher than the 67-69f range.  The Belle Saison yeast had bubble activity in the blow off tube for about 10 days.  Every time I have used the US-05 there are no bubbles after 4-5 days.  Is it the yeast or was it the higher temperature 78f, that caused the prolonged fermentation?

higher temp typically makes faster fermentation ... for all yeast ... and more esters and phenols ...

that's typically undesirable, except in a few cases (Belgians, for instance, and I guess some saisons) ...

i happen to not like those, or any esters/phenols that i can think of ... not a huge fan of Belgians, hate clove, and honestly prefer the toned down saisons, so YMMV ...

more likely that it was an underpitch, dry yeast die off, or otherwise unhealthy fermentation ... at least that's my guess ...

grantmichaels said:

higher temp typically makes faster fermentation ... for all yeast ... and more esters and phenols ...

Well, unless it works best at higher temperatures like this

54216A17-0AAD-4BFB-AE21-975C599106DA_zpsiqrqsged.png

8683E7EF-BF62-4E83-81C8-089BBB99216B_zpskgp7wtwz.jpg

Says it works best in the 90 to 100 dF. Got Wheebz following along on some Norwegian Farmhouse Ale Blogs that sound outrageous! I ordered 3 vials and sent him one.

So I'm wondering if it'll work better on lighter brews or be good with dark brews too. So, I'm thinking I'm going to try it with a traditional Norwegian style and maybe see what it does with something like a Porter. I'm also going to see if zi can find an untreated piece for Fir and try to make a yeast stick like the Vikings did and see if I can keep the strain that way.

recipe i wrote for this strain uses spelt, rye, oats, and pilsner malt

pitching at 90, and letting it free rise to whatever it ends up hitting

hopped with Mandarina Bavaria

wheebz said:
recipe i wrote for this strain uses spelt, rye, oats, and pilsner malt

pitching at 90, and letting it free rise to whatever it ends up hitting

hopped with Mandarina Bavaria
How long is it going to take you to propagate the yeast to have have enough to pitch for what, 1 barrel batch? Sounds pretty cool!

So I saw on Facebook you have a few collaborations coming. How do breweries decide on who they would like to collaborate with. Do you just admire work they've done or a certain aspect of a style they do? Or is it more so, you meet them at a conference or know them from the past and you're bullshitting about ideas, and you find your both thinking the same thing? Just curious.

i emailed them this morning about it, saying lets do a collaboration

we had talked about that night of the picture

we basically decide on a style, come up with a grain bill, hop schedule, and yeast strain, then go from there with our own water and fermentation technique

First rehearsal last night, first night going through the music and DANG we sound good! A little heavy on the basses but in this show I think that's a plus.

Ok, in your review of my brew you said that the esters kind of covered the Basil. If I had let it sit on the yeast cake longer would the yeast have taken care of some of the esters or since it was a Saison yeast and is supposed to have the esters would it even have mattered?

Back