BACON BEER???

Brooklyn Brewery Makes Bacon Beer

Bring on the bacon beer! Brooklyn Brewery’s brew master, Garrett Oliver, has done the unthinkable; he has combined two of the world’s best tastes and created a beer infused with Benton’s Country Smokehouse bacon. The only thing is, if you want to taste it, you’ll need to cough up $350 (plus tax and gratuity) to be a part of the pairing dinner at Per se(http://www.nycbeerweek.com/events/zagat/#perse) tonight.
safe_image.php
Reinschweinsgebot (German for "pure pig offering" and the name of this beer) will be paired with one of the meal’s 7-courses. I can’t help but wonder if the food will feature bacon as well? Would that be too much bacon, or is there no such thing?
Unfortunately, the delicacy is not (yet) commercially available. Brooklyn Brewery made just 21 cases, all for special events. The reason it’s not being pumped out onto store shelves is the complexity of the process used to make it. Oliver told New York Magazine, "the technique we used — which comes originally out of the perfume industry — involves transferring an aroma from a fat to a liquid without actually transferring the fat itself. Then to completely remove the fat and have none left in the liquid, it was very tricky." Thankfully, he also added that he’s open to finding a way to simplify the process so that you too can one day enjoy bacon beer. Please pray to the innovation gods.
Other Brooklyn Brewery treats at tonight’s dinner will include the Manhattan Project, a rye-based beer that’s flavored with spices and cherry to emulate the taste of a Manhattan. Unlike the Reinschweinsgebot, the Manhattan Project is going out to bars in New York and 21 other states this week.

Finally, a beer for breakfast! :D

Sounds good, I wonder if I'll see one around.

I think its too much of a novelty. I once tried to make cigarette flavored beer so I wouldn't have to smoke while drinking. Ever drank a stale beer someone used as an ashtray? Put a piece of fried bacon in a glass of beer, let sit for an hour then drink.....(bathroom is down the hall to the right).

Salute', TB.

texas blues said:
I think its too much of a novelty. I once tried to make cigarette flavored beer so I wouldn't have to smoke while drinking. Ever drank a stale beer someone used as an ashtray? Put a piece of fried bacon in a glass of beer, let sit for an hour then drink.....(bathroom is down the hall to the right).

Salute', TB.

Like I said.....

cheezydemon said:

There is an oyster beer out there somewhere.

I can't get my mind around that one either.

I think I'd try the oyster one before a bacon one.

cheezydemon said:

cheezydemon said:

I can't get my mind around that one either.

I think I'd try the oyster one before a bacon one.

You know, baconnaise didnt sound appetizing to me either but it turned out to be pretty good.

I'm all about baconaise. Brilliant.

But beer is to cleanse the palate and refresh.

If the beer tastes like a fried hog's ass, how TF is that going to be refreshing?

WTF will they pair it with?

NOTHING wrapped scallops?

Eggs and NOTHING?

Wilted spinach salad with a baconless viniagrette?

I'll take my artery clogging pig butt goodness the old fashioned way, chewy, crispy, and not dry, but sure as phuck not liquid.

It will undoubtedly make a good marinade. End of story.

Ballzworth said:
that's up there with the "steakshake". mix as many unhealthy things together as possible seems to be a growing fad.
Aroma can't be unhealthy. It's aroma. A scent.

Uh, my point was about the aroma, not the flavor of this beer.

You guys that don't like it have strong opinions :lol:

thehotpepper.com said:
Uh, my point was about the aroma, not the flavor of this beer.

You guys that don't like it have strong opinions :lol:

Sorry boss, but I can't get next to bacon aroma or taste in brewhaha. i'd say the same 'thang if it was Avocado beer. While separate they are both great but together....no. Some things just should not be brought together.

Salute',TB.

I'd try it. It's akin to pumpkin ales and the like, except here, it's just the aroma, so it's more akin to detecting certain notes in beer and wine. I imagine there's a bit of smokiness and that's it.

thehotpepper.com said:
Aroma can't be unhealthy. It's aroma. A scent.

I hear ya. I know it doesn't actually change the nutritional content, I was just making a more generalized comment about some of these combinations of food which never cease to amaze me....like the baconaise mentioned above.

and I agree with TB...some things should just not be brought together. maybe i'm just too into beer the way it is to open up to an idea like that.

One og my good friends was at Brooklyn Brewery a month ago and tried it. Said it's no good. He said it tasted like a smoke ale, but he didn't like it. I dunno. Just one kinda-first-hand account.

DO WANT!!!! DOWANTDOWANTDOWANTDOWANTDOWANTDOWANT!!!!!!

thehotpepper.com said:
Finally, a beer for breakfast! :D
You really needed a bacon beer to push you into drinking during breakfest? Forshame. I've had Founder's Breakfest Stout with breakfest, I've had the true "breakfest of champions" as well, and a few shots here and there too. Alcohol, it's not just for lunch, snakes, dinner, desert, nightcaps, middle of the night binges, and pre-lunch warm ups anymore.

cheezydemon said:
Oyster beer is actually quite good from what I hear.

Sickmont said:
You know, baconnaise didnt sound appetizing to me either but it turned out to be pretty good.

Baconnaise may be mankind's greatest achievement. I go through a bottle a month of that stuff. Bacon Salt is damn good too (if it weren't for the MSG).

Back