• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Bad ferment batch?

I have two batches of some fermented chili's. The left batch looks okay but the right one has a gray brown black layer on the top. I removed it once but its coming back and I really don't feel like getting sick from a bad batch so I think its getting dumped. I am told the white layer on the left if just fine but any other color means nasties got in, is this true?
WD66jXz.jpg

Thanks guys. The left batch has a nice smell coming from the airlock on top but the right batch smells a bit off I guess the aroma for me is very hard to describe but it doesn't have that nice chili smell like the left batch does.

Yeah Prime my nose is telling me the right batch is gonna get tossed. The best way I can describe the left batch is a mellow earthy chili scent. This is all from the scent that gathered in the air lock I am afraid to take the lid off the right batch but eventually I will have to  :confused:

i would agree, right one is dumped and see about the left.

too much headspace can cause these types of infections, so you might try a smaller jar(s) or fill the other one up as much as possible (to the bottom of the shoulder has worked for me with mason jars).

Back