• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Bell pepper colour taste profile's & Hot pepper profile's ?

Hi Guy's

I was wondering "if" ๐Ÿค” the taste profile's of Bell pepper's could be used as a guide for hot pepper varieties or recommendations ?

Here's what I mean, personally............

Green Bell peppers are my favourite flavour ๐Ÿ˜‹

Red Bell pepper are my second favourite ๐Ÿ˜‹

Orange Bell pepper not at all keen on the flavour ๐Ÿ˜—

Yellow Bell pepper my least favourite ๐Ÿคข

To be honest I try to avoid Orange and yellow Bell pepper's.

Everyone has tasted Bell pepper's and are familiar to the taste profile's but the are a great many hot pepper varieties that we haven't !

How do hot pepper varieties and colours compare ? If at all ? Given personal tastes differ so greatly .......

Given I prefer green/red Bell pepper flavour over orange and yellow are there any hot peppers you recommend and any you'd suggest I'd I steer clear of ?

Just an idea..............

Stephen

So you like green and red bell peppers. Technically the green are not ripe and ripen to red. Just like capsicum annuum. Jalapenos, poblanos, serranos, etc. You can eat them green unlike other species, because they turn a dark, flavorful green before turning red. So I would recommend annuums, especially poblano since you like bell peppers. You can grow them and pick them green and red and get the profile you are after.

^ What THP said! While not an exact match, the flavors of the annuums follow a pretty similar profile overall, including as they ripen. (Not surprising, bells are annuums). I would add Anaheim or the Numex varieties to the list.

Not all annuums are great when eaten green though. Kapia peppers are great when ripened to red but horrible when eaten green. same goes for cayenne for instance. I grow some Goccia d'oro this year and they are great when eaten green so are my Jalapenos.
On the yellows i encourage you to grow d'asti giallo next year. I'm growing them for the first time this year and i'm impressed by how good they taste! In the chinenses generally the reds have a more smokey and "spices" taste whereas the yellows and peachy colors have more of a fruity/floral taste. (ofcourse there always will be some exceptions)

I would also highly recommend rocoto. They have a sweet bell taste with some heat. I love them.

"What do rocotos taste like? The meaty walls of the chili provide a lot of bell pepper โ€œpepperinessโ€: grassy and fresh. But underneath of it all, there's a crisp fruitiness here that's enhanced by the juiciness of the chili itself. In terms of eating experience, as mentioned, think more tomato and less jalapeรฑo."

I think y'all missing the point. OP wants to know if colour is any indication of flavour in superhots

Short answer YES

But. Nothing like it is with Capsicum annuum. Totally different flavour compounds and capsaicin composition - more dihydrocapsaicin - back of the throat burn.

Yellow ororange chinense are fruity, tropical and floral with citrus undertones.

Generally red can be bitter due to the higher capsaicin (some are quite bitter) although there is a discernable cherry/berry flavour in Red BrainStrain and Primo.

Green chinense is crap.

Brown can be bitter as well but the searing heat of a Douglah is well worth the fleeting moment of lack of flavour

Only harvesting fully ripe peppers is an oddity of hobbyist pepper growers.

I think this is partially done as a justification for growing the peppers to start with. Green peppers from the grocery are cheap and good, but it is hard to find ripe jalapeรฑos at the grocery.

I also think this reflects hobbyists growing varieties that simply taste bad, and the sweetness of a fully ripe pepper masks the bad flavor.

Unlike with tomatoes, the pepper varieties that have become dominant in the culinary traditions of the world generally taste better than the more obscure varieties grown by hobbyists for ornamental or novelty value.

Unripe (green) orange habanero: delicious.
Unripe (green) Jamaican yellow scotch bonnet: delicious
Unripe red habanero (some varieties): delicious

Unripe obscure chinense or newly developed hobbyist variety: usually tastes bad

The visual effect of color has a large effect on perceived taste.

If you challenge yourself to blind taste tests, you might find less difference between red, yellow, and orange bells than you thought. You might find just as much difference between red bell peppers from the same plant picked at a slightly different stages of ripeness.

I get annoyed by all of the pepper varieties being described as tasting like a fruit of the same color. The yellow varieties usually donโ€™t taste like lemon, pineapple, etc any more than an orange variety that people would say tasted like mango.

Last edited:
Only harvesting fully ripe peppers is an oddity of hobbyist pepper growers.
I mean, if you want a red poblano you pretty much have to grow them yeah. Only seen them ONCE in a store and wow, so delicious!
I enjoy green (unripe) chinense, and consumption of green chinense is very common in the Caribbean.
And yup. The bins at the markets usually have a rainbow of colors.

I am surprised an appreciation for unripe chinense hasnโ€™t caught on more with the online pepper community.

In the Midwest United States, grocery stores periodically carry overripe sad looking orange habaneros with shriveled brown stems, but they never have green ones. If you want nice fresh green habaneros - you have to grow them yourself.

Sorry not superhots. We call them chilis so when I see hot pepper I automatically think proper hot chili.

My understanding of the Q was: is colour a function of flavour and therefore is the flavour in other species analogous to that of the bell pepper (and yes in South Africa that is the only cultivar we call a "pepper").

Apologies I quoted whole post by mistake. If you read last two quotes you can understand why I have referenced his Q as I have.

Hi Guy's

I was wondering "if" ๐Ÿค” the taste profile's of Bell pepper's could be used as a guide for hot pepper varieties or recommendations ?

Here's what I mean, personally............

Green Bell peppers are my favourite flavour ๐Ÿ˜‹

Red Bell pepper are my second favourite ๐Ÿ˜‹

Orange Bell pepper not at all keen on the flavour ๐Ÿ˜—

Yellow Bell pepper my least favourite ๐Ÿคข

To be honest I try to avoid Orange and yellow Bell pepper's.

Everyone has tasted Bell pepper's and are familiar to the taste profile's but the are a great many hot pepper varieties that we haven't !

How do hot pepper varieties and colours compare ? If at all ? Given personal tastes differ so greatly .......

Given I prefer green/red Bell pepper flavour over orange and yellow are there any hot peppers you recommend and any you'd suggest I'd I steer clear of ?

Just an idea..............

Stephen

Well there is good info from all of us, none of us missed the point. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Back