• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun bending towards the sun??

Hello all,

I have began to see quite a few of my seeds sprout, but i have noticed that they heavily bend towards the window?  Is this a way to try and collect more sunlight or??  Will the harm the plants?

Thanks!!

-Steve

stevedigs04 said:
Hello all,

I have began to see quite a few of my seeds sprout, but i have noticed that they heavily bend towards the window?  Is this a way to try and collect more sunlight or??  Will the harm the plants?

Thanks!!

-Steve

Yes, it is how they get as much sunlight as possible. People see plants as being static organisms but it's amazing how much they actually move. As Joyners said, just rotate them. That will get them going upright. You don't want them to grow sideways for too long.

From Wikipedia:

Phototropism is the growth of organisms in response to light. It is most often observed in plants, but can also occur in other organisms such as fungi. The growth or movement of a plant part in response to a source of light. The cells on the plant that are farthest from the light have a chemical called auxin that reacts when phototropism occurs. This causes the plant to have elongated cells on the farthest side from the light. Phototropism is one of the many plant tropisms or movements which respond to external stimuli. Growth towards a light source is called positive phototropism, while growth away from light is called negative phototropism. Most plant shoots exhibit positive phototropism, and rearrange their chloroplasts in the leaves to maximize photosynthetic energy and promote growth.[1][2] Roots usually exhibit negative phototropism, although gravitropism may play a larger role in root behavior and growth. Some vine shoot tips exhibit negative phototropism, which allows them to grow towards dark, solid objects and climb them. The combination of phototropism and gravitropism allow plants to grow in the correct direction.[3]

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Rotate the plants daily ...
+1

As long as they are in pots, rotate them. You don't want them to develop a permanent lean in one direction, as once they get heavy with pods this will potentially result in the plant breaking. Once they are outside it depends upon where they are at - I keep my plants on the back side of the house, which is north-facing. They get full sun except for the part of the day where the house shades them. I have to rotate mine because of that, but if your plants are out in sun full-time, they will follow it throughout the day.

Make a reflector out of aluminium foil and card and put it behind them, or rotate them. A reflector will increase the total light they receive too. 

I like this.  I thought I was the only one.  As a first year grower, I was wondering the same myself and did not know that they would react the same as a sunflower.  I too take my trays and rotate.

Back