• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Best way to label seeds

Your user name is incongruent with your spelling/grammar.
In regards to your question, it's somewhat vague. Are you talking about labeling them for storage or labeling them as in knowing which plant is which while they germinate and grow?

[SIZE=10.5pt]Small jewelry bags from Hobby Lobby or bead containers if your post is for keeping your seeds labeled until you use them. If for growing use nursery ID markers, or I use plastic knives and write on them with a permanent marker. Or I number my pots 1- whatever with stickers or write on the container then I keep a master list of the plants ID in a word doc corresponding to the number on the pot. Hopes this helps.[/SIZE]

I use coin envelopes from staples, I also drop in some silica jell packets to keep them dry

266866.jpg

I use a Sharpie permanent marker to write on the seed baggies....and to write on my seed trays...and my popsickle sticks inserted into the Solo cups I transplant my plants to. I then use the Sharpie to write on popsickle sticks again when I transplant to buckets/containers. I am thinking that you are more interested in the popsickle part of the process, not the baggie labeling part.

I use white re-usable labels, they are about the size of paddle pop sticks/popsickle sticks but just pointy on one end.  They come with a pencil so easy enough to scrub off and write another name if needed in time.

I bought 100 clear zip lock bags off ebay for $2. I then permanent market them or print labels out on a sheet of A4 paper and cut them out and slip them in the bag!

Damn I wish I could find those coin envelopes down in Aus!

If you only have six varieties I would just use snack baggies you get in the grocery store. Make sure they have dried out before putting
them in any plastic container.  I personally use coin envelopes, but I have a lots of seeds.  I also store flower and tomato seeds in them.

For saving seed, I take a ziploc and write the name on a piece of paper to go in with the seeds.... thinking of eventually adding on other info, germination times, pictures, etc....

For growing, I draw out the starting tray or the raised beds and write the name in the spot as I sow the seeds or make the transplant....
I haven't gotten around to doing multiple transplants and pots yet.... my first season I had about 10 plants in containers and by the time transplants into bigger pots were finished, they were visibly identifiable....

little craft baggies are what I store them in.  For labeling I write what it is on an index card, cut it and put it in the baggie. 

Back