• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling Bottling hot sauce

I have been making hot sauce for a while now but have yet to find a fast way to get the sauce in the bottle. I have been useing a funnel and it takes forever. Anyone have any ideas on how to speed things up?:shocked:

Well, if the sauce is that thick, I'd either thin it or use a wider mouth bottle. :)

Unless the funnel is too narrow..I just use an old Tupperware funnel and it works good since the tip is pretty wide.

423208_1.jpg

hometeader_48 said:
I have been making hot sauce for a while now but have yet to find a fast way to get the sauce in the bottle. I have been useing a funnel and it takes forever. Anyone have any ideas on how to speed things up?:shocked:

The problem is the air flow. Use a sterilized drinking straw as an aerator. Place the funnel in the bottle, stick the straw through the hole and lower it to about where the liquid will stop. Pour.

Depending on how thick your sauce is, you could use a large irrigation syringe...they make them up to 120cc but the most common is 60cc...suck it up and squirt it in...

I can vouch for Bob's handy filler. I used to bottle by ladle and funnel until I found BOB via a google search. At the time, he didn't make any fillers for bottling food. I was his guinea pig and worked out the kinks for bottling thick and chunky sauces.

Bob is a stand up guy and he stands by his product. Prior to using the handy filler, I would spend 4+ hours cooking and bottling 2-4 cases. Now, let 10 cases slow cook and spend less then 30 mins bottling it all.

The handy filler is extremely easy to use and clean. All parts are FDA approved. The VA inspector was impressed at how accurate the filler was. The filler I purchased can be set for 1 - 8oz bottles.

The handy filler is also nicely priced. I think I paid around 4 or 5 hundred for mine. The next option was a $1200 machine shipped from China that was guaranteed to work, and the next option after that was $2500.

Bob will not overcharge you. He actually advised against an option I was looking at because he didn't think it would good for my needs.

You can't go wrong with the handy filler!

something like a coffee urn, like they have at churches or community centers for serving groups of people is a good start. Keeps it hot, you can get a small one at at most hardware or k-mart type stores for $40-60.

Like the spice grinders though, if you get one and use it for hot sauce, don't use it for coffee, and also don't use one previously used for coffee for your hot sauce.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
turkey baster works for me.

I second that. I have a dollar store turkey baster that I use with my thicker sauces. The end fits into a 5 oz woozie. For my thinner sauce I am able to pour it in with a 1 litre measuring cup I have; it's plastic and the spout is pointy enough to pour through the woozie hole.

Back