• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Cal mag/ fert question

Hey guys I have looked all over the forums but can't really find a solid answer so here it goes. Most of my peppers are in the fruiting stage right now but they are starting to look like they need cal mag. My question is can I give them cal mag as well as bonticare pro grow bloom at the same time or should I be spreading it out? Also would it be better to use the Cal mag as a folier or in the soil. I have my plants in #5 squat containers and they are I'm fox farms ocean forest. Thanks ahead of time for the help everyone!

I might be wrong, but I don't think there is any reason to give them calmag at this point if you're growing in a nice soil like Ocean Forest.

I don't think that the "Give it calmag" contingent is as strong here as it used to be, I know before I joined I would always see that suggestion in searches, but I don't see it suggested as often now. Let's see a picture of the plants.

Jmishork said:
Hey guys I have looked all over the forums but can't really find a solid answer so here it goes. Most of my peppers are in the fruiting stage right now but they are starting to look like they need cal mag. My question is can I give them cal mag as well as bonticare pro grow bloom at the same time or should I be spreading it out? Also would it be better to use the Cal mag as a folier or in the soil. I have my plants in #5 squat containers and they are I'm fox farms ocean forest. Thanks ahead of time for the help everyone!
The fertiliser that you have mentioned already contains both Calcium and Magnesium as Calcium carbonate and Magnesium carbonate. I would look at the pH as a possible cause of nutrient lock out.

Have you given it fert already? If you're adding that fert to a hot soil like FF Ocean Forest it might be burning them. I'm not sure what's going on, but it shouldn't look like that. Let me put IMG tags around that picture, maybe someone else will chime in.
cnni.jpg

Jmishork said:
Here is a pic of the leaves on my 7 pot

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/2199/cnni.jpg
From the pic it looks like it could use cal mag but I'm pretty new to this and I'm not sure.
Ill check the ph when I get home tonight an update you guys. Thanks for the help!

There's some newer growth in the form of side shoots from the main stem that looks fine.

Do you have any more photos of the new growth on the plant?

Jmishork said:
The plants have been in the fox farms for about 2.5 months now. Would it still have all the nutes I need in it?
In your first post you mentioned Botanicare Pro Grow Bloom and gave the impression that you were already using a fertiliser product. Please clarify what fertiliser if any have you given the plant?

Jmishork said:
Here are some more pics. Sorry I don't know how to make the pics just come up on the page either if someone could help me with that I would be very very grateful lol

slq.jpg

l6ks.jpg
The new growth (tips and leaves) is what would be affected by a Calcium deficiency. The leaves on your plant seem to be in reasonable condition.

In BBCode mode (i.e. without the toolbar disabled/greyed out) there's an icon depicting a photo that on click will prompt you to enter an image URL. The URLs you had in your post were already those needed. An example of the tags using your images is below:
Code:
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img854/7214/slq.jpg]

[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img266/6637/l6ks.jpg]

Thanks Harry!!! I used pro grow bloom on them about 3 weeks ago. I was going to give them some more pro gro bloom on them on Thursday. My question was would it be too much for the plant if I used the pro grow bloom and the cal mag as a folier at the same time or if I should spread it out. Sorry for the confusion and thank you so much for the help!

Jmishork said:
Thanks Harry!!! I used pro grow bloom on them about 3 weeks ago. I was going to give them some more pro gro bloom on them on Thursday. My question was would it be too much for the plant if I used the pro grow bloom and the cal mag as a folier at the same time or if I should spread it out. Sorry for the confusion and thank you so much for the help!

As I mentioned before the fertiliser (best match on the name is Pure Blend Pro Bloom) already contains Calcium and Magnesium in the form of carbonates. The use of carbonates is what lead me to ask about the pH. If I was using a fertiliser that already had Calcium compounds in it I wouldn't be adding a Calcium supplement.

Have you checked the pH yet?

Back