• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Calling all botanical experts.

Calling all botanical experts/hobbyists who know stuff

Is it possible for habanero's or Bhut Jolokia's to cross breed/polinate with Jalapeno's?:D

Cause I have a funny feeling and everyone who has tried one (including another Chilihead) agrees these are TOO hot to be pure Jalapeno's. Every discription of what happens to those who eat Bhuts/Naga's happens when you eat these (Naga/Jalapeno's?). How far apart do they have to be not to cross polinate? Mind you we have bee's and wasps in our area.

Pepper Belly said:

I am not a botanical expert, I merely pretend to be one on the web.

However, since Web of Hair has crossed a habanero and a jalapeños, it's pretty certain the cross could happen. I'm at work, and I don't have my Seed to Seed book, but I think they talk about separation for pure seed in terms of a half a mile, or a mile. That may be for commercial production, too.

Do you know what variety of jalapeño you have? Some are hotter than others, plus if the plant was stressed in some way the heat could have been ramped up.

The year I moved into the house I'm in, I potted up a jalapeño so I'd have some sort of pepper until I could get a garden going. Well, it was a drought year, and moving and settling in distractions meant it was a sadly neglected jalapeño; I only remembered to water it when the leaves were past droopy into "I'm dying here!". When they peppers finally started to ripen, I picked one and had a nibble as I went back into the house. Yowser, that bad boy was hot! I sent some over to my chilehead buddy, and he said I should grow them that way every year.

We have El Jefe's and we did stress them a little.

I found this but I dont understand much spanish:
chilejalapeno.gif

eljefe.jpg

eljefe.gif

Este híbrido es muy recomendado para zonas semi desérticas ya que desarrolla una planta muy vigorosa y de larga duración de corte. El Jefe posee frutos de tamaño ideal para la industria, de color verde intenso muy atractivo y prácticamente libre de antocianinas. Tiene resistencia a la bacteria Xanthomonas razas tipo 1, 2 y 3.

If you don't want chiles to cross, plant them at least 500 yards apart.

The ad says the chile is for dry climates, it makes a vigorous plant useful for large-scale growers and is resistant to some diseases.

One of the most picante chiles I have ever eaten was a xalapa (jalapeno)......most are not picante; this one was.

willard3 said:
If you don't want chiles to cross, plant them at least 500 yards apart.

The ad says the chile is for dry climates, it makes a vigorous plant useful for large-scale growers and is resistant to some diseases.

One of the most picante chiles I have ever eaten was a xalapa (jalapeno)......most are not picante; this one was.

Do you mean the El Jefe Jalapeno? As I understand it there are several different varieties of xalapa? Also I dont have 500 yards we have probably 100 meters max.

ok now i have been none to say really dumb things so here goes.in the art of crossing lets say i have a A plant and a B plant )insert whatever name you want for a A and B) if i intentionaly cross B with A wont A's pods be normall but A"s seeds produce a hybrid. meening that if i was not saving seed but bying new seed each year( which i am not) spacing would not matter because i would be starting over each year? hope that makes sence.

VtPepper said:
ok now i have been none to say really dumb things so here goes.in the art of crossing lets say i have a A plant and a B plant )insert whatever name you want for a A and B) if i intentionaly cross B with A wont A's pods be normall but A"s seeds produce a hybrid. meening that if i was not saving seed but bying new seed each year( which i am not) spacing would not matter because i would be starting over each year? hope that makes sence.

Yes, you are correct. Cross-pollination does not affect this year's fruit, it affects next year's plants grown from the cross pollinated seeds.

Pepper Belly, is that what you were asking about? If so, I misunderstood. If your jalapeño cross-pollinated with your naga, it would not make it hotter this year. Plants grown from the cross-pollinated seeds might produce hotter fruit, but this year's fruit would be unaffected.

Pepper Belly said:
We have El Jefe's and we did stress them a little.

I found this but I dont understand much spanish:
chilejalapeno.gif

eljefe.jpg

eljefe.gif

Este híbrido es muy recomendado para zonas semi desérticas ya que desarrolla una planta muy vigorosa y de larga duración de corte. El Jefe posee frutos de tamaño ideal para la industria, de color verde intenso muy atractivo y prácticamente libre de antocianinas. Tiene resistencia a la bacteria Xanthomonas razas tipo 1, 2 y 3.

Bablefish rough translates it as:

This hybrid very is recommended for desert zones semi since it develops a very vigorous plant and long play of cut. The Head has fruits of ideal size for the industry, very attractive and practically free intense color green of antocianinas. He has resistance to the Xanthomonas bacterium races type 1, 2 and 3.

I interpret the interpretation to mean

This hybrid is highly recommended for semi-desert zones since its a very hardy plant. The fruits are ideal in size and of an attractive green color. It is resistent to the bacteria Xanthomonas types 1, 2, and 3

Pam said:
Yes, you are correct. Cross-pollination does not affect this year's fruit, it affects next year's plants grown from the cross pollinated seeds.

Pepper Belly, is that what you were asking about? If so, I misunderstood. If your jalapeño cross-pollinated with your naga, it would not make it hotter this year. Plants grown from the cross-pollinated seeds might produce hotter fruit, but this year's fruit would be unaffected.

OK that answers it, they havn't cross pollinated, they were stressed. Thanks all. These are "oh mamma hot":mouthonfire:

Not to mention that the different pod structure would result in a very different looking jalapeno. Web's Jalabaneros are all wrinkly. I would assume that this would be true of either cross. Therefore a normal looking Jalapeno is most likely a jalapeno.
ALSO....jalapenos are the most underestimated pepper because of the prevalance of TAM's (ask Texas Blue) and pickled jalapenos(the ones on nachos) both of which are wimpy compared to a fresh real jalapeno.

I can't say I've ever had regular jalapenos that were particularly hot, except for a variety I grew once that had been bred for additional heat.

maybe the seeds you have were crossed last generation.

cap. annuums and cap. chinense are prolific crossers, so

"Is it possible for habanero's or Bhut Jolokia's to cross breed/polinate with Jalapeno's?"

habs x jals = yes

bhuts x jals = (has it been confirmed that BJs are chinense? I'm not sure,if so, then) theoretically yes

My Jalapenos (El Jefe's) are first generation and they look like normal Jalapeno's but with extreme heat and a fruity taste.

Maybe there is something to their name after all (El Jefe) means "The Boss".

Okay...this makes some sense to me. Now how do plants polinate? I have habs growing near bhuts and i'd like to have just normal peppers. no hybrids or any of that business. Is polinating strictly left to wind and insects? can i polinate them (insert semen jokes as needed)? I don't need perfect peppers, just good ones.

Is there a chance i could be breeding chocolate bhuts because of the chocolate hab next to the bhuts?

(another back from the dead)

Back