• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Can I start seeds year round?

Hello, it would be super helpfull if someone could give me a quick answer about starting seeds for chilli peppers that will grow inside.
I am a newbie to planting chillies here in Canada in zone 3 and started my first chili peppers(poblano,habanero,cayenne) in march.
I had in mind that they had to go outside so I transfered them to regular soil,compost, etc, but then I learned that you can over-winter .
Now I cant keep these peppers I guess since I cant bring soil inside my house that is not a potting soil so I am wondering if I can start over again and plant seeds this fall ? For chillies cultivated inside do you have to plant seeds only in early spring or can I start them any time of the year?
Also, i think I will only do habanero or other small varieties cause it is not recomended to plant big types like poblano,am I right?
Thanks in advance !!!!

By the way, my post sounds like I am going to discard my hot peppers which is not the case ! I will keep these outside but I do want to start some to have in my house for winter time.
Hasta la vista!

You can bring your outdoor plants in

http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

You can be pretty brutal about knocking the dirt away. Watch closely for pests for a time. If you plan on growing under lights, feel free to plant away at any time, so long as the temperature where you keep them is amenable to the plants.

You can grow any size pepper inside, that isnt necessarily what determines survival. Of course you don't need to turn them into bonchi, but the essentials of overwintering are very much the same.

Different zones entail different strategies, I start, grow and harvest pretty much year round. Mind you my climate is significantly different than Canada's.

My brother starts his stuff(in PA) in January/February under lights till April/May. Down here we can start peppers anytime!

Thanks a lot for your responses guys, this was helpful and I was hoping I would hear these kind of positive answers.
Eating hot peppers has always been a must in my daily life but now ,learning how to grow them will surely become a passion.
I sent the website link about bonchi to a friend which is very much into bonsai and already got a response about how excited she is to know you can do it with hot peppers. I think we may go nuts ... I can see myself reading about chillies for the next few weeks.

hell in iowa i wouldnt start till beginning of april at the earliest

Umm, Im in Iowa, farther north than you and I start my super hots at the end of January/beginning of February.

What grow lights are cheap and good for growing in an apartment?

It depends how crazy you want to get. You can get fairly good results with a 4 foot shop light and a pair of "daylight" 6500k bulbs or you can go a bit over board and get a MH or HPS light. Here is a HPS that would give you great results on a single superhot in a DWC system (its the light I am using on my DWC currently with excellent results)...

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-FLORALUX-150w-HPS-Mini-Grow-Light.asp

It runs around 125 degrees, so you may want to get a fan on it, but it is a good light.

Are you talking about inside or outside?

I assume your refering to inside and im refering to outside

Unless you live in a deserr oasis that i dont know about here o.O

I started some seeds in early July last year that got overwintered for this year, and I also started some of my more compact varieties in late December for the heck of it. You can start seeds any time, it's just a matter of how much space you're willing to devote to overwinters. Overwintering can mean anything from keeping the plants active and under lights, or depriving them of light, heat, and moisture (to an extent) to the point they are basically dormant for a while. The latter approach really only works with mature plants though. I had some of my plants in the office by a south-facing window, and others stuck in a cool, dark room, and they all survived winter. Takes a bit longer for the plants kept in dormancy to bounce back, but if you're worried about space or equipment it can't hurt to try it.

If you want to keep the plants producing fresh pods through winter, be prepared to invest in some quality lights, doubly so for the larger-podded varieties. Personally, I just don't think it's worth the effort to keep the plants producing through winter after my experience this year- learning to live seasonally and keeping the plants on life support in the winter is a more practical approach. Drying/canning/pickling your extra pods in the growing season ends up being much less expensive in the long run. That's my 2 cents anyway... :whistle:

This is great to know ''synclinorium''. I have lights but I think I am going to opt for the practical side of things. It seems like it would be hassle free and less expensive on electricity to have them dormant .

Back