• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water can plants die if they are overwatered?

I had to leave my plants outside after about 24 hours of decent rainfall. Is this enough to ruin them? We also had a little rain 3 days ago.

So far they seem fine, but I'm not sure about the long run.

It really depends on how large the plants are.   Seedlings are less resilient, but still will amaze you.  If they look ok, then I wouldn't worry too much, just don't water them again until they dry out.  If you have the ability to pull them under some shelter if it starts to pour again, that wouldn't hurt. 

i'd think they would be fine. mine have been getting rained on every day for the past week or so and they are fine. i am in florida, though. 

BUT, i did have some seedlings that were in the wrong spot and the water running off the house smashed them down to about nothing. killed most of them. good thing i have so many plants i don't know what to do with them all.

Plants seem to respond much better to being overwatered by rain than by tap.  Must be that the rain is chock full of air and other goodie bits where as tap water is pretty void.  They should be fine as long as it doesnt get too hot, then you have root rot to worry about.

Well..... 24 hours isn't a thing to worry about. But we've been having rain here with only short breaks for a few weeks now. I moved all my peppers into the garage (with the door open) to give them a chance to dry out. The leaves were starting to yellow badly. So a few days, no problem, after that..... I'd suggest some cover if you can manage it. 

Back