can you build a tolerance to hot peppers?

just curiious...

ive seen some youtube vids of people  eating peppers and being in real bad pain and some that are just ok with it. 

can you build up your tolerance to how hot of a pepper you can handle?

has anyone here started out at just jalapenos and now eats, say...  ghosts regularly?

ive tried some pieces of dried trinidad scorps and they are.... HOT.  

Yes, it's like anything else. You can get used to it.

But be practical. Find your level of heat comfort, and just enjoy it. Pushing yourself to have a higher tolerance simply to show off on YouTube is plain stupid. Eat enough hot stuff on a regular basis, and you'll naturally increase the dosage.

Naga Chomper said:
Yes, it's like anything else. You can get used to it. But be practical. Find your level of heat comfort, and just enjoy it. Pushing yourself to have a higher tolerance simply to show off on YouTube is plain stupid. Eat enough hot stuff on a regular basis, and you'll naturally increase the dosage.

This is a good answer but sometimes its fun to push the limits. We have members on here who post videos of eating super hots like its no big deal. I guess its ego or showing off like anything else like how you went to that party and drank 10 shots of vodka, 15 beers and chowed down 4 double cheeseburgers, 36 buffalo wings and drove that family of 6 home in a minivan.

Yes. This is how and why:
Ref. "Capsaicin desensitization and recovery on the human tongue" T. Karrer and L. Bartoshuk, Physiology & Behavior, Vol. 49, No. 4, April 1991, 757-764

Hophead said:

I guess its ego or showing off like anything else like how you went to that party and drank 10 shots of vodka, 15 beers and chowed down 4 double cheeseburgers, 36 buffalo wings and drove that family of 6 home in a minivan.

This made me laugh.  A whole lot.  Seriously.

Well maybe some people are eating chilis just to show off but this is not the case with the majority. If you are a chili head you like the peppers and the heat.
But as you get used to it, you need hotter and hotter peppers to burn you the same way as before. And you want to burn! :hell:

The tolerance doesn't go up forever though. A scorpion will always burn horribly, just less horribly than it would have if you hadn't eaten spicy food for a while.

edit: the people who don't react are still in a lot of pain. I would know.

Ya, don't listen to all these guys.  The trick is to get the hottest peppers you can get your hands on and just chow 'em down.  Sure... you're body may reject them at first, but just keep feeding them to it and eventually it might realize that it's best to just take it and deal with it.  (this is all just theory for me, but that's how we do it)  Most important... Have fun.

Be sure and video it, because I do enjoy watching others suffer.

On a more serious note:  Do your research and be sure you know what you are getting in to.  Cap cramps are pretty brutal.

Well, eating hit food is nothing new. I eat Indian and Thai regularly and order it hot. I've sampled some bites of some super hots and though it was hot, I enjoyed the experience. And the endorphin rush. I'm not just going to try and devour a plate of readers or anything but try to eat hotter peppers more often and incorporate them into my eating. Looking forward to sharing my experiences. :-)

oCaveman said:

On a more serious note:  Do your research and be sure you know what you are getting in to.  Cap cramps are pretty brutal.
And when they go away you know something MUCH more painful is about to happen...

Eat chiles you can handle and enjoy them. There is no reason to eat whole superhot pods unless you can handle them. No running for milk and other cheating! Trying to cool it down means you ate more than you can handle. You will also use milk and other things as a crutch if you cheat. People develop a tolerance for the capsicin and the pain.

Edit: It's a good idea to cut up the superhots and eat portions you can handle. They are also useful for cooking. I only eat a whole superhot on occasion. I can handle them, barely.

definitely.
I have to sprinkle bhut powder on food now, because tabasco has no heat.

Ive found that if you cut spice out of your diet, your tollerance drops back down really fast.
After i do a review, i dont eat spicy food for a week after - then tabasco feels hot.

Like Naga chomper said, its a good idea to find your level and be happy with it. but the endorphins rush from eating crazy hot food, is brilliant ;)

Back