sun Can you harden plants with sunlight through a window?

Being at work all day I can’t put my plants out for 2 then 4 then 6 then 8 hours etc. I can get up early and put them outside for 1 or 2 hours before I leave for work. Other than that by the time I get home there is not much available. The other option is I can leave them in my one window that gets actual direct sun light facing west. It gets about 3 hours of the setting sun. Would the sun coming through the window count towards hardening hours or does the Low-E glass filter out the strong rays I need to harden the plants. Thanks.

Put them outside under shade cloth.should harden off just great , do it all the time here works for me. two to three weeks under shade then in the ground, have never lost a plant. just be sure that plants are watered.

Until last season I germinated and grew my plants in front of a window until plant out. In my limited experience, no that doesn't count towards hardening. There are also other factors such as wind. Last season I used shade cloth to harden my plants. Worked great.

Not sure if you have a big tree where you can put em out to get filtered sunlight at first, then on weekends you can watch them carefully and get em more and more direct sun! I put mine in the shade when I leave and into the sun at lunchtime!

Kevin

I have noticed my plants can go into direct sun through my windows w/o any issues. But when I put them outside in the sun they go limp in a couple hours. I have heard that glass does reflect a lot of rays. Is there a place that gets a short amount of exposure to direct sunlight outside?

i have my plants in a south facing window and it has bleached out some green in some of my plants. the hardening off process is not just direct sunlight - or like Edward Smith(author of the vegetable gardener's bible) says, hardening off is like little boot camp for vegetables. wind and other elements are also very important to harden your plants. last year, my poor tepin, that was 2 years old, lost all its leaves, 3 times, first in may due to high aggressive winds, second in july due to hail then again in september due to cold, it never produced 1 pod last year. good news it's still alive today and going into its 3rd year. agressive winds can put young plants through a lot of stress as i found out last year and decided to all my container plants in totes for this extra protection.

good luck.

Hi Beaglestorm,

Trying to harden your plants off through just a window alone will not get them hardened off to the point you can put them outside without some sort of setback.

Being indoors, your plants are protected from daytime highs and those night time low temperatures.

Also unless you're running a fan over your plants they will not be exposed to those drying winds that can wreak havoc on tender plants.

And depending on your windows, number of panes, UV filtering, how clean the windows are etcetera, your plants will have some of the sunlight diluted down for them indoors, and they will still need to be exposed to and adjusted to the sun's direct rays.

One thing you might be able to do is place them in a mostly shaded and protected place where they will get some of the earlier or later day sun, where the sun's intensity is lower than those full midday sunlight levels.

And try to find a sheltered place to keep the wind from drying out your tender plants, until they have been sufficiently toughened up to grow on their own outside.

dvg

Thanks everybody.... I will continue with the 2 hours in the morning and then it looks like I will have to enlist the help of my wife... I will need to be a little more explicit this time than I was when I asked her to move the fan on my plants. LOL It's only for a week or so .. How bad can it get? (begin playing menacing music in the background) If the darn wind would just calm down to less than 20mph I would just leave them out in the semi-shade.

Would it be possible to construct a temporary windbreak for your plants with materials you already have around your house or garage?

dvg

Would it be possible to construct a temporary windbreak for your plants with materials you already have around your house or garage?

dvg

That is a great idea..... going to search my yard at the office for stuff I can use to build something. Probably have to buy the shade cloth .. but everthing else I should be able to find. This way the wife only has to cover and uncover them or I can just leave them covered all the time ..if it is very windy. Another thing to add to mistakes I made in 2011... "No hardening plan of action"

When the wind is goin crazy, i stuck em into a 5 gal bucket, but i only have a handfull of plants, not sure what u could do with the amount you have.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but what if my windows are double paned but not gas filled and the entire home is not centrally heated/cooled? My indoor temps fluctuate between 5C (41F) at night and on average 18C (65F) during the day.

In this kind of situation, would a window suffice?

Back