• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Carib. Red Habanero Confirmation?

Hello, I have a question...

In January, I got some Red Habaneros from a friend, he didnt know what type they were and from what they looked like and how Pungent they were I assumed they were Caribbean Reds.

The Pods were dark red, small and roundish, very smooth and not very wrinkled.

When I was cutting out the seeds I noticed the entire inside of the pepper was red (minus the seeds) including the placenta. The heat was brutal and it gave off a very pungant Habanero aroma, almost enough to make you sick :D

I collected the seeds from all of the pods and started growing them right away. Many of the plants have fruit on them now, one pod turned red already...

My question is, is this really a Caribbean Red? Or is it some other type?

Below are some pictures I took, notice the Immature Pods are light green in color, smooth and not wrinkled. They are big at the stem and taper off to a point at the end forming an almost cone shape. The Pods dont seem to bend downward like other Habaneros but rather horizontal or almost vertical (see picture).

I have a picture of a pod that just set a few days ago, one that set almost a week ago, some almost full size pods and finally a ripe pod that I cut off before it turned completly dark red.

A US Quarter is in some views for scale.

All.jpg

Pic0308.jpg

Yep. Thats exactly what my red looks like.

Oh, and dont be alarmed, but it's gonna take a really long time for them to ripen and turn red. Mine took like 3 or 4 weeks after reaching full size.

Agree, they look like my Caribbean Reds....and by the way, I picked on of my big green ones yesterday afternoon and ate it.....wow....very picante...

AlabamaJack said:
Agree, they look like my Caribbean Reds....and by the way, I picked on of my big green ones yesterday afternoon and ate it.....wow....very picante...

I waited till mine turned red and then had 'em. Wow...they were sure stout.

You got yourself some great peppers! Carribean habs are my favorite!

One question though, are the plants getting a lot of sun? I just wonder as they don't seem to have a large and plentiful leaves as mine do, although they do look nice and healthy!

That plant is identical to my habanero at home. I have no idea what mine was when i bought it. I think we have a candidate finally. Thank you! I think i may indeed have a Caribbean red growing out on my deck. :D

Pepp3rFreak said:
You got yourself some great peppers! Carribean habs are my favorite!

One question though, are the plants getting a lot of sun? I just wonder as they don't seem to have a large and plentiful leaves as mine do, although they do look nice and healthy!

They get about 6 hours of direct sun each day (barring good weather).

They were raised in pots inside under lights, and they do have lots of leaves... Right now they are growing out a window, I have many others that are larger, one of them is HUGE, about 3 feet high, 4 feet wide and 9 feet in diameter.

I guess the picture I took was deceiving, perhaps I should take another to show the plant in full?

Pic0313.jpg
Pic0314.jpg

Pic0315.jpg

Back