• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Changing Light Cycles to induce or help flowering

Currently, my lights are on 17 hours, off 7 hours.  My Trinidad Moruga Scorpion is starting to flower like crazy - It is large enough for me to to allow it to flower.  There are probably around 60 or so developing flowers, although only 3 or 4 are fully open, with another 2 or 3 close to being fully open.  I was advised to reduce the light cycle to 12 on 12 off, in order to aid with the flowering.  Is this accurate, or is it a myth?

For my situation, there are some issues:

My second indoor plant, a Cereza cross, sits next to the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, and shares the same lights.  It is much younger and smaller than the scorp, and I would like to give it the longer cycle.  Also, my "grow room" is my living room.  I'm almost never in there, BUT if I change the hours, during the "downtime" it will not always be 100% pitch black dark.  The door between my bedroom and living room doesn't fully close and it will get more light, when I fully open it on the way to the shower or bathroom.  Will these minor lumen interruptions mess up the cycle?  Currently, the cycle is "pure," - The lights shut off at 11:30, when I go to sleep and shut off the rest of the apartment lights.

Please advise.

Thanks

17 hrs is a lot of light! I only give mine that much light when they are small seedlings. The 12/12 sounds a lot better . Cant you just remove the Moruga from the light after 10-12hrs and let your Cereza x get full light for the rest of the light cycle?

millworkman said:
Peppers are not affected by changes in light.  Peppers are not weed.  If they are flowering with 17 hours how would changing the length help them?  Flowers are what you want.

My first reaction to your post was to wonder what sort of plants you are growing.

IMHO, the feeding schedule is more important, and the MOST important is the ability of the flowers to pollinate.  If you are in an environment where insects will do the work for you, do whatever you can to encourage their productiveness.... otherwise you will need to pollinate manually.

I pull pods off plants indoors that are under 24 hour light schedule. Like said before there isn't a photoperiod for pepper plants.

Thanks for all the advice. I love millworkman's comment- "Peppers are not weed."

I'm going to keep the cycle as it is. Currently, I'm trying to pollinate, with an oscillating fan blowing on the plant 4 hours a day. I'm going to buy some Q-Tips later, to hand pollinate as well.

I meant crushing dried pods into some rolling paper, lighting it and inhaling.

BTY - I am only kidding - do not try this at home :)

Island_Dan said:
Many people smoke their peppers before drying and making powders and sauces.

Back