• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

chaosbites- growing peppers in the 3OH3!

I am going to give it a shot and start a glog and post some photos.

I started my 2013 season on 17 Feb 2013. I planted then what I had available and added more peppers as I got the seeds. Next year I am hoping I run a little logical in planting times.

Anaheim (Lake Valley)
Jalapeno (Livingston Seeds)
Habanaro- Red (Lake Valley Organics)
Habanero- Red (Burpee) Habanero mix
Habanero- Yellow (Burpee) Habanero mix
Habanero- Orange (Botanical Interests)
Fatalii (Seed Savers)
NuMex Joe E Parker (Botanical Interests)
Poblano (Lake Valley)
Jamaican Red (Lake Valley) packet says they are a scotch bonnet
California Wonder (Burpee) Carnival mix
Diamond (Burpee) Carnival mix
Golden California Wonder (Burpee) Carnival mix
Orange Sun (Burpee) Carnival mix
Purple Beauty (Burpee) Carnival mix
Serrano (Lake Valley)
Corno di Toro- Red (Renee’s Garden)
Corno di Toro- Yellow (Renee’s Garden)
Douce d’Espange (Ferry-Morse)
Marconi Red (Lake Valley Organics)
Long Thin Cayenne (Ferry-Morse)
Gotrox Mystery Pepper (Gotrox)
Peach Bhut Jolokia (ajijoe)
Wild Brazil (ajijoe)
Surprise Hot Mix (ajijoe)
Bhut Jolokia (chaosbites) {died, failure to thrive, 29 Mar 2013}
Jimmy Nardello's (seed savers)
Fish (seed savers)
Red Rocoto (seed savers)
Chocolate Devil tongue (joemomma)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (joemomma)
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (joemomma)
Revels Ghost Bhut Jolokia (joemomma)
Red Habanero, Caribbean not 100% (joemomma)

oh yeah, I have three over winters living in 5 gal. buckets in my garden tub. I was able to snatch a few tasty but small pods this winter from the few plants I had last year.

bhut jolokia
orange habanero
Poblano

DH is going to build some raised beds for me in the coming weeks. Last year's garden was small even after we tried to better the clay soil we have here. Several will have to settle in containers. I am hoping we get a better crop this year. I will have two 3' x 12' beds and a 3' x 24' bed. The 11 year olds will share a 4' x 4' bed and sell their goodies door to door. I will have to find homes for my extra seedlings as I am sure not all can fit.

Rise of the Solo Cup invasion!
Since I don't have the space or fixtures for more lights my babies will have to rely on the strong sun we get here in Colorado. I borrowed one of my 19 yo son's soldering tool to melt the holes in the bottom of the Solo cups. I am using Fox Farm Ocean Forrest for soil. But I did have one bag of epsoma seed mix. The little guys on the skinny tray are now elevated so they can get the sun. If they were near the window the black would heat up and roast them

IMG_0927sm_zps4445c62b.jpg

DH isn't too happy the living room has been turned into my grow room. Right now it is the only place with the natural light and space I need. Maybe next year I will have a grow room in the basement.

This is the little greenhouse (minus the cover) I got at Harbor Freight. On the top are my annums and tomato plants that were started in the first round. Now that I have pots, warming mat, light, seed, and will save seed I will start my chinese first next year. The second tray down is a multi type pack of basil with a few lemon grass seedlings thrown in. Third down are my two 4' T 12s stolen from the basement. Half the light is hanging off so the rubbermaid is holding things steady on the end. Also on those lights I have some more lemon grass and chives trying to germinate. The bottom shelf has a mix of annums and chinese. The skinny tray is more basil. The trays are raised up on smaller (unused) pizza boxes.
IMG_0925sm_zpsd28332fe.jpg

A closer look at the bottom shelf. Some of the peppers are doubled up. We get a lot of strong wind here so I am hoping maybe they can help make a wind screen for some of the others down wind. I may even try my hand at a bonchi this fall.

IMG_0924sm_zps760519cf.jpg

I dated the cups with the sowing date and the pot up dates. FF is Fox Farm. When I started I didn't know what soil I would end up with and I wanted to see what I liked better.
IMG_0923sm_zps28993096.jpg

These guys are some of the chinese sitting on shoe boxes to snuggle up with the lights.

IMG_0922sm_zps09532735.jpg

More of the top shelf. Pepper and tomato.

IMG_0917sm_zps1e5ed658.jpg

Here are the babies of the bunch. I have a couple of hooks and a Marconi up. The Marconi have been slow and full of helmet heads. Hopefully, the few that are tough enough to survive make it to the back yard. There are several jiffy post with seeds from THP members that were kind and shared with me (Gotrox, ajijoe and Joemomma- thank you guys!) I hope to be able to share in the future. If you can read the tags there is also some ornamental grass (blue fescue) that I planted yesterday to go in the front yard landscaping.

IMG_0913sm_zps3d9b6b19.jpg

Well, this is where I am with this years grow. Hoping for snow in the high country so we don't have water restrictions this year.

I have enjoyed many of your glogs.
Michelle

:rofl: I guess that beats him hearing

"Well hello Reaper!"
"Well hello Brain!"
"Well hello Scorpion!"

Or if its before noon..."Well hello Scotch!"
The plants are looking mighty healthy! Your doin' it up right so far!

LOL (can't do the little smiley guys on the iPad.)

Looks good. How long is your growing season in Colorado? I'm in Arkansas where we were planting by now last year but it will be in the 30's next week at night so I still have everything in solo cups waiting.

Not long enough- he he he! It is about mid May to mid Oct. but we have had snow as early as Sep. 8 since we have lived here. I certainly will have to OW several plants. But it is sunny most of the time. A long winter is easier to do if you have blue skies.

Hi Michelle
Everything I see is looking Aok! Bummer about the seedlings that are dying off... I was having similar problems with my initial planting of Annuum seeds, and I think it was a fungus in the seed starting medium. I guess it doesn't pay to economize there... In my second planting I used promix. To hedge my bets, I soaked the seeds in a 10% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide for 10-15 minutes, rinsed in clear water and soaked overnight in diluted seaweed extract (for the Auxins and trace elements) before planting.

Hope you and your family have a happy Easter.

The only bunch of seedlings that never did well were from my own winter pod. They were more of a lark than anything else. I still have the mama plant and will hand pollinate some for seeds and see how that goes. I have been pretty lucky so far with the seedlings. I can see the differences in one type of seedling over another. I'll note these in my journal (when I can remember) to be able to see what work best. I did soak some in peroxide, but have not come across any seaweed extract yet. My later batches of seed I used the jiffy pellets - I move them out fairly quickly into ocean forest. They seem to like that. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for the seaweed. Thanks.

Gotrox- Kyle has an opinion about everything. I dread seeing his videos. Ha ha.

Have a great Easter,
Michelle

Congrats on starting a Glog.
I'll definitely be following your progress!
Last summer I was living in Broomfield and made a few raised beds.
Here's my 2012 glog and what I was able to accomplish.
2012 Glog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32148-roningarden-2012-now-indoor-glog/
You'll have great results taking advantage of the intense Colorado sun!
Keep 'em growin!

Congrats on starting a Glog.
I'll definitely be following your progress!
Last summer I was living in Broomfield and made a few raised beds.
Here's my 2012 glog and what I was able to accomplish.
2012 Glog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32148-roningarden-2012-now-indoor-glog/
You'll have great results taking advantage of the intense Colorado sun!
Keep 'em growin!

I remember your glog from last year and wishing I had more than the couple of plants I did have.I need to review it now that we are in the planning stages for the back yard. I am hoping I get more success this year than I did last year in the little area we amended. Several will be in containers so I can move them in for winter and when it hails. Thanks for visiting!

Hi Michelle,

Everything's looking great, soon you'll be carting them in and out to get full sun if not already!

Happy Easter!

Scott

They are lovin life near the big front window. Soon I expect I will be taking them on little trips to the great outdoors.

Looks really great! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for visiting. I grew up in Laurel & lived in Columbia and Marriottsville before moving west.

Michelle

It looks like you are off to a great start! Your story about your son saying that you are naming them now made me laugh out loud! While we don't name plants, my daughter sometimes names the first pods once they set. Our first tomato each of the past two years has been named Mater (Mater the tomater).

Your glog is well laid out and entertaining to read. I look forward to following your grow this summer!

Things are chugging along with my plants. Sunday morning was a nice so I took all the plants on a field trip to the back patio. Soon as I got them out and the wind kicked up. I was able to see how much some of them have grown. They didn't stay out too long-but got some good sunshine. We are supposed to go from the mid 60s-70s to 6-12 inches of white stuff. The wind is really howling and the babies are all tucked in as this front comes roaring through town.

These are my fatalii.
DSCN05142_zps8be3528b.jpg

Habanaros and some fish and other assorted pepper plants.
DSCN05102_zps6ada2034.jpg

Some of the younger kids. I did number the "mystery" plants. When I go back and look at my photos of them I can notice certain traits they tend to have.
DSCN04792_zps3c8c0815.jpg

Here is my second sprout Zombie out of the "seed grave yard" I went through the jiffy pellets and pulled the seeds out when I was potting up. It took so long for these guys to show. A watched pot and all that :P
DSCN05272_zps6829ead2.jpg

Now here are some weird thing I noticed with several on the Corno di Toro reds. They seem to like having conjoined leaves. I have three or four plants that are doing this. I wonder if it will carry to the flowers and pods.
DSCN05312_zpsb66bbfdc.jpg

DSCN05252_zps33a9ac24.jpg

It looks like you are off to a great start! Your story about your son saying that you are naming them now made me laugh out loud! While we don't name plants, my daughter sometimes names the first pods once they set. Our first tomato each of the past two years has been named Mater (Mater the tomater).

Your glog is well laid out and entertaining to read. I look forward to following your grow this summer!

Thank you Stefan. Kids say the funniest things sometimes, don't they? When one of my older boys was much smaller we were putting air into our camper's tire and he told us to make sure to put the round air in!

On the outdoor garden front... dh and his friend with a pick up truck will be going to the store to get the lumber to build the raised beds. :dance: I need to go check out what soils I can get delivered for filling them up. Other plants (the ones that won't fit into beds) will go into containers. I have a feeling there will be quite a few of those.

I went to a local market that had Habs with the funny shape that others have posted about. I got a bunch for my nachos and saved the seeds. We will see what pops up next year. The flavor was better than the larger chain stores habs.

Thanks for stopping by and reading

---> there is a hockey game on TV with my name on it.

Michelle

A funny little story. When I was checking the germination tray the other morning I said "Well, hello there Jimmy!" Kyle, one of my 11 year olds was in hearing distance and replied, "Don't tell me you are naming them now!?!" I then had to explain it was a Jimmy Nardello and first of that bunch to pop.

Have a great holiday weekend!!!
Michelle

Thanks for the smile on mi face mon and don't let the kids bother you, I talk and sing to my plants all the time ... I just tell the boys I'm crazy or happy or happy crazy lols ...

Nice field trip idea, dat sun seems to have given them a lush color ... great updates and lovin your jungle :)

Hi Michelle
At least you'll get a little more snow, if not the 5 feet you need for runoff later in the season. Babies are looking good. It seems like everybody here is talking about strong winds lately... it's just that time of year...

Hi Michelle,

I bet you're dying for dirt day! Plants look great!

The conjoined leaves are interesting, I noticed one the other day, it was on the second set. No more after that one..

Thank you Stefan. Kids say the funniest things sometimes, don't they? When one of my older boys was much smaller we were putting air into our camper's tire and he told us to make sure to put the round air in!

This reminded me of when my son was 5, I came home from work and his sneakers were on the roof, asking why he replied: "Dad, I was running so fast they flew off my feet". Lordy, I knew then I was in trouble...

How are things on your side of the state, Michelle? Even though it's snowing here, with winds in the 25 - 40 mph range, and 25 degrees, it's only sticking to the grass and rooftops. I heard they cancelled schools in the Denver area, so you guys must have gotten the brunt of this storm. No pepper field trip today!!!

Well, you wouldn't want to put square air in a round tire, would you?

I'll stick with the round air. It gives a much better ride!

Thanks for the smile on mi face mon and don't let the kids bother you, I talk and sing to my plants all the time ... I just tell the boys I'm crazy or happy or happy crazy lols ...

Nice field trip idea, dat sun seems to have given them a lush color ... great updates and lovin your jungle :)

The field trip was nice and getting some warm sun was good for me too. Lol

Hi Michelle
At least you'll get a little more snow, if not the 5 feet you need for runoff later in the season. Babies are looking good. It seems like everybody here is talking about strong winds lately... it's just that time of year...

Yup, the high country needs the h2o. The wind was when the front came through and knocked the temp way down. I'll have to check the storm totals to see how much they got up in the mountains.

Hi Michelle,

I bet you're dying for dirt day! Plants look great!

The conjoined leaves are interesting, I noticed one the other day, it was on the second set. No more after that one..

This reminded me of when my son was 5, I came home from work and his sneakers were on the roof, asking why he replied: "Dad, I was running so fast they flew off my feet". Lordy, I knew then I was in trouble...

I am dying for "lumber day" so I can have a place to put my dirt. Then I will be impatiently waiting for the inaugural dirt day with all my little pepper plants!

"Flew off his feet" LOL They sure keep us on our toes, don't they?

:dance: coming along very nicely :dance:

Thanks! Several of those lil guys came from your "surprise hot mix" seeds. I have a couple that are showing a bit more purple than any of my others. I am real interested in seeing what they turn out to be.

How are things on your side of the state, Michelle? Even though it's snowing here, with winds in the 25 - 40 mph range, and 25 degrees, it's only sticking to the grass and rooftops. I heard they cancelled schools in the Denver area, so you guys must have gotten the brunt of this storm. No pepper field trip today!!!

Cold and white over here! Did you guys get much? Schools announced at nine pm last night they were going to close-before much more than a flake or two fell. The roads stayed clear most of the day. Dh said it was icy this am when he was out. It would have been a lot more snow on the roads if it wasn't 70 yesterday. It snowed all day today and looked real pretty but it was cooooollllld! I think it is supposed to get nice by the weekend- I hope. Things should green up with all the moisture. I am so ready for the great change to warmer weather.

Michelle

Hoooo Boy! It has been a while since I got to update this glog. I have been having some computer issues that are hopefully going to quiet down now that I got the monster dust bunnies blow out of my computer!

Dh had worked hard this weekend on starting my raised beds. He got Zoe's and Kyle's 4 x 4 bed built and most of another one, plus the triangle one (home to squash, pumpkin and cucumbers). Hopefully, this weekend he and his friend can get the longer pieces of wood for the remaining beds. Then I have to go get the stuff to make the mix to go into the beds. I am having some separation anxiety over some of my starts. I think there will be many more container grown plants around my back yard than I planned.

Everything seems to be growing well. I am running out of room. I have taken the over winters out of the "garden tub" and moved them downstairs where I can bring them outside without too much trouble. Now that tub is full of solo cup plants that sit on the window sills during the day. I have a few that have developed some buds.

Just a few group shots.

DSCN07162_zps918f2e6d.jpg

I have taken them outside a few times but no serious hardening off happening. Monday it was 80 and yesterday it snowed all day. The snow is melting, we need the moisture and the sun it out! The annuums seem more sensitive to hardening than the chinese. Have any of you all noticed that, too?

These are two of my over winters. I trimmed several leaves and stems off since it was a dense ball leaves. Hopefully, this pruning will help it become less condensed. They didn't get more than 18" last year. There is lots of buds and some flowers all over them. I am trying to let them get bigger (size wise) before I let them go all out. I took one stem off the bhut (he had less pruning) and put it in water. Hopefully, I will see roots soon. I have several rooting in water from when I potted up. I tried to get rid of some of the double planted. I threw the snipped stems in water and they are all rooting well. I am even waiting for one of my few damping off victims to root too. Over in the back you can see the late comers just starting in the solo cups. I still have some slow pokes still popping and some late seeds that I couldn't resist popping into the soil.
DSCN07132_zps5d8129fa.jpg

This is annuum central on the top of the card table. The taller ones went up stairs. I got a bunch of the landscaping flags, cut the flag part off and used the wire for support. Some types of peppers seem more "viney" than others. In the back you can see my basil that I have trimmed several times to get thick stems. There are some chives back there too. The tall stick like thing is clematis in water that may or may not root. It is growing new green shoots. I couldn't just trash it when I was cleaning up the garden beds out front. I made some willow tea- maybe it will help with the rooting. Down below are the plants that are under lights. They are growing well but got a later start than I wanted. I am planning on many over winters this year. I also started three flats of flowers and now are starting to pop.

DSCN07112_zps2227815c.jpg

This is tomato town. They are all now in 1 gal containers. I need to get some more bamboo for support as they have gotten really tall. I have pinched off all the flowers and tried to keep the suckers under control.

DSCN07092_zps7285aadc.jpg

Now I have to go do the crazy mother/taxi thing. I look forward to catching up with your glogs when I can put my feet up. Hehehe

Michelle

Hi Michelle
You've got some nice looking peppers and some "monsker" tomatoes... hope you can get them in the ground soon. Is the weather warming up enough yet?

Hi Michelle,

Everything looks wonderful, nice and green, tomatoes are tall, and plants everywhere! I heard about snow up your way, the cold is all the way down here now. Global warming they say?

I hope it warms up soon so you can get those babies in the dirt.

Have a good one!

Damn your plants are sick! You squeezed every bit of growth out of those solo cups. Yours toms are even more impressive. Those things will produce instantly when they get outside. Nice grow. Keep up the good work!

Back