• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Check this small bug out !

DfQaF9n.jpg

Can't say I know what it is - probably 4mm long at most.

Seems to have a liking for my 7 Pot Jonah and hasn't done any damage.

The diversity of insects I have seen this year, especially around this one plant, has been noticeably higher.

Regards,

Tim

That's a neat photo Tim, its a beautiful little critter.
Entomology is fascinating, I'm not going to be happy now until I know what it is.

Cheers for sharing dude!

Thanks chaps.

I pulled up a chair and watched its behaviour for a short while.

With the twitching antenna and rapid start/stop movement, it does look like a hunter indeed.

Here's another one:

J2pbuYl.jpg

I'm using a Canon EOS60D with 15-85mm EF-S f3.5-5.6 IS USM, and ISO100 for the above shot (with F7.1 at 1/10s), but can't get it any sharper without a macro lens and programmable AF point adjustment (e.g. EOS7D body and beyond = mucho dinero !!).

Regards,

Tim

I really like some of the attitudes expressed here....

I've actually wild-collected predatory insects a few times... as Teejay and Ikeepfish have indicated, the predatory types have a wholly different appearance and demeanor than the pests... Let's face it, pests need all the style and grace, all the speed and stealth and armament... to sneak up on a leaf (ie.: none). They tend to be sluggards.
Despite the predators' trademarks, i have mistakenly introduced MORE pests, once or twice (nuclearDays, i may need to borrow your brains next Spring, or at least your 'entomology lobe'...).
However, 'tis a far, far better screwup to make than to kill off such fine beasts as Ichneumon wasps.

I read "Silent Spring", by Rachel Carson, as a boy... did you know that malathion and other organophosphorus pesticides are a direct result of Nazi Germany's nerve gas research during WWII ?

Queequeg, i've enjoyed some of the posts you've made, and this isn't any kind of personal attack... but you're wrong here. Converse with the other fellows who've already posted on this forum: they're clearly better informed than i am, and may be better able to explain the situation.

That fierce-looking weird and tiny 'bug' is one of the good guys.

lol, totally joking.

trust me. its way to much work to prep a sprayer with surfactant additives, getting distilled water, and cleaning etc to spary one bug.

if its damaging something ill kill it. otherwise i couldn't be bothered.

mikeg said:
 (nuclearDays, i may need to borrow your brains next Spring, or at least your 'entomology lobe'...).

Trust me, mate ... you don't want to borrow my brain ... it turned to mush many many years ago :P

One of the benefits of paying attention to a small pepper garden is all the neat bugs you notice.

These guys - gals most likely - almost certainly parasitize another insect; one that may be eating your plants.  Welcome them, and please don't go all Redneck, spraying anything that moves.  If not for the tiny wasps that arrived this spring to slaughter the aphids, I probably wouldn't have a garden at this point - I'd have given up months ago.

Back