• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Chives in Sauce

total noobsauce said:
Ok for onion flavoring or bad idea?

Chives are pretty delicate, and if it's a cooked sauce I'd add them at the end just before blending else I'd imagine some of their flavor would be lost.  Love onion and use it in all my sauces, but chives are usually something I save for adding to dipping sauces and potatoes or vinaigrette.  All that said I'm sure you'd get the flavor you're looking for if you used enough of them.  :)  

The word chives sounds much cooler than the word onions. And when you add fresh herbs to a slow cook it is better just to wait for the last hour. Same thing with hamburger. I like to use hot sauce mixed in with spaghetti sauce even if I have to make it half salsa to make up for it being weak.

total noobsauce said:
Good to know.  Also because I just made green salsa that called for cilantro.  Will sob now as I await the slime bomb.
Salsa is ok - cilantro in salsa works as it's generally refrigerated.

Unless you're talking about a pasteurized/jarred salsa?

I doubt it'll be a slime bomb, but I've had hot sauces that had cilantro in them and the texture was a little off.

Finally I remembered the rest of what I was trying to remember. It was the voice intoning "pigs in space!" and it was something to do with muppets. Except this time it was "chives in sauce!" to the same voice in my head. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Back