• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

"Chocolate" Reaper growing log ....

Well last year I grew a bunch of seedlings from one of my Reaper pods. To start it was a funky reaper with odd shaped pods. Anyhow out of that batch 3 of the plants produced brown ,very hot peppers. The appearance were all over the map even on a single plant. Some looked Moruga-ish, others longer , some reaperish...

I overwintered the planted and got one single pepper to fruition. From that I grew two second generation plants. Below are a pic of the two plants grown from the pepper that I grew in isolation and a pod growing on one of them. Soon I will know if they retained their chocolate color! Unlike some peppers that seem to give uniform pod shapes none of these seem to whether first or second generation. Slight variations abound on the same plant.
  Second generation plants
2wez6fm.jpg

Second gen. pod...not all have this shape.
2afbl28.jpg

I also grew a bunch of seedlings from the 3 originals not isolated and I'm watching them. The pods look VERY promising.  They too have nice shaped pods. I am very eager to see if they retained their chocolate color while being grown from chocolate pods outside not in isolation.

Well more will be revealed soon. Bob

There is a Choco Reaper discuasion on facebook also. Ed Currie and Butch Taylor are involved in the discussion

megahot said:
There is a Choco Reaper discuasion on facebook also. Ed Currie and Butch Taylor are involved in the discussion

Really? I just basically stumbled upon them and decided to name them that -obviously because of the color variation. My plan is to try and stabilize them. If the second gens turn out well I'll isolate them and repeat the process.Bob

A pepper I picked earlier this year off my overwintered parent Chocolate Reaper (the one I isolated to produce a second gen from)...now if the above pictured pod on the second gen turns brown I'll be very happy! Bob
i74vpf.jpg

Chocolate popped up the first year I grew reapers.  The seeds grew chocolate the next year.  I do not think it is a hybrid at all.  I think there are recessive genes for the color within the Carolina Reaper which pop up when two reaper plants pollinate each other.  More likely when only certain carolina reaper plants pollinate each other.

Thing about the pods looking different on the same plant, I have not noticed that in Carolina Reapers much at all.  Yep, occasionally a plant throws odd pods but then that plant seems to throw only those odd pods.  Makes it really easy to cull for dna improvement.

megahot said:
If you could point me towards that discussion I would love to read it after reading Mr. Currie was none too nice to someone who said they had a chocolate reaper back in the day.  Seemed to set a nasty tone much like the Reaper is a Primo discussions.  Not that I think it is.

ajdrew said:
Chocolate popped up the first year I grew reapers.  The seeds grew chocolate the next year.  I do not think it is a hybrid at all.  I think there are recessive genes for the color within the Carolina Reaper which pop up when two reaper plants pollinate each other.  More likely when only certain carolina reaper plants pollinate each other.

Thing about the pods looking different on the same plant, I have not noticed that in Carolina Reapers much at all.  Yep, occasionally a plant throws odd pods but then that plant seems to throw only those odd pods.  Makes it really easy to cull for dna improvement.

If you could point me towards that discussion I would love to read it after reading Mr. Currie was none too nice to someone who said they had a chocolate reaper back in the day.  Seemed to set a nasty tone much like the Reaper is a Primo discussions.  Not that I think it is.
   Well I have lots of different peppers growing so I was concerned with cross pollination affects. I wasn't sure if the color was a result of cross pollination. I figured if I isolated the originals I'd have a better bet of producing more Coco's. I dont know why I see such variation of pods on the same plant . I'll try to get a picture of them. Bob
 On the same "second generation" plant -different shaped pods...Bob

2qn19p4.jpg

2lkshte.jpg

I am sure cross pollination can produce chocolate reaper looking pods too.  So maybe.  But I am absolutely 100% certain that the carolina reaper has recessive genes for chocolate because the first chocolate i observed bred true again and again.  I do not think that will happen if it is a cross between different peppers.  Do keep in mind my knowledge of DNA comes from 7th grade earth science classes.

Many,many more cross breeding folk here who know tons more than me.  I am hoping they will chime in and give you some ideas cause I think you got the love / addiction like me and can always use some help.

Well its been a difficult growing season here in lower CT for me this year. First Verticillium wilt on some of my tomatoes. Not unexpected I know its in the soil , still annoying at best. Then the cucumbers have heavy leaf spotting...but this is the real kicker - what appears to be pepper maggots I discovered in a bag of peppers I picked two days ago! argh! When over and inspected a bunch of chocolate reaper pods and a good majority of the pods appear infected with them....Bob

op5z0h.jpg

If it is a pepper maggot I will bet it was on sweet peppers.  If so, one of the best organic cures is hot peppers.  I do not think this kills them, I think it just makes the surface of the fruit taste bad to them.  Take some super hots, boil in water, let cool.  Then spray the fruit and plant with the hot pepper tea.  It works on most insects that do not generally bother hot peppers.

Between that and the liberal use of diatomaceous earth, we continue to have problems but they are not overwhelming.  Give diatomaceous earth a google.  It is amazing stuff and you can buy it for cheap from feed stores in 50 lb bags. 

ajdrew said:
If it is a pepper maggot I will bet it was on sweet peppers.  If so, one of the best organic cures is hot peppers.  I do not think this kills them, I think it just makes the surface of the fruit taste bad to them.  Take some super hots, boil in water, let cool.  Then spray the fruit and plant with the hot pepper tea.  It works on most insects that do not generally bother hot peppers.

Between that and the liberal use of diatomaceous earth, we continue to have problems but they are not overwhelming.  Give diatomaceous earth a google.  It is amazing stuff and you can buy it for cheap from feed stores in 50 lb bags. 
  The mildest pepper Im growing is the Fatalii. Anyhow I'll give the hot spray a shot and see where I can find some of the DE. Ive heard of it before (my sister) but never tried it. Thanks Bob

jedisushi06 said:
Could it be a reaper chocolate habanero cross?  First time i grew reapers i had three plants and one put out chocolate habanero pods.
 They are extremely hot. They seem as hot as anything else Ive grown including Morugas and true Reapers. That said after a point its hard to gauge. A tiny sliver sets the mouth on fire....  No Habaneros in the garden. At the time I got the seeds from the parent plant I was growing Reapers, Morugas and fatali. Bob

I have some seeds for the "Chocolate" "Reaper" that ...someone...made available last year and I got them in a trade.  I didn't get any germination on them for this year but still have some seeds left and may try in my next seed round.  I can post progress in this thread whenever that may be.

Helvete said:
I have some seeds for the "Chocolate" "Reaper" that ...someone...made available last year and I got them in a trade.  I didn't get any germination on them for this year but still have some seeds left and may try in my next seed round.  I can post progress in this thread whenever that may be.

I would love to read/see your progress but in a separate thread. That way it wont get confusing. :)  Bob

Back