• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Coconut rum choco 7's

I have searched google and the forum.

I am wanting to make a hot sauce with

1/2 cup fresh coconut
1 sweet potato
2 limes(Juice and some pulp)
7 Chocolate 7 pods
Sailor Jerry spiced rum added at the end

what would be the best way for the coconut to be included
Should the juice of 2 limes be enough to get the ph under 4?
Should I add any more liquids and what would you recomend?

I've thought about the coconut angle for a while now. Having cooked with the meat before, It isn't easy to get it to break down. I had thought about using Pepe Lopez coconut cream, but it's so damn sweet. The other thing I thought of is coconut milk or coconut water, though the latter doesn't really have the coconut flavor, if that's what you're going for. I'm not sure the juice from 2 limes would be enough for pH balance, but you could add a bit of rice vinegar, as it doesn't tend to overpower like other vinegars. The sweet potato is an interesting ingredient. Sounds like it would serve to sweeten and thicken the sauce. Being new to sauce as well, I say just do it! Experiment and see what works, most of all, have fun!

Yah im thinking of sticking the coconut in a food processor before i start to cook it all.
after its done cooking it would all go in a blender
meet 195f then bottle and hot water bath.
Gonna have a go with it tonight ill post pics
gonna do a bit more research first.

I agree with mch in that the coconut pulp will be difficut to get into soft pieces. If you don't mind little bits in the sauce, it sounds like an interesting sauce. I'd add a little more acid, whatever vinegar you prefer. The sweet potato will elevate the pH significantly, so you need to make sure to get enough acid in the sauce.

I agree with mch in that the coconut pulp will be difficut to get into soft pieces. If you don't mind little bits in the sauce, it sounds like an interesting sauce. I'd add a little more acid, whatever vinegar you prefer. The sweet potato will elevate the pH significantly, so you need to make sure to get enough acid in the sauce.

Ok I sent my wife to the store to get rice wine vinegar,limes, a young coconut, and sweet potatoes.
She forgot my coconut.
So i will make due with the coconut flesh i have and try to get it at least to a very fine pulp.
Should 1 cup RiceWV and 3 limes be sufficient.
I have some test strips somewhere ill get them out and see where i am at when i blend it all up

Use virgin coconut oil, adds flavor and emulsifies. Tastes great with 7pots or habs.

This sounds like a much better choice than the flesh i am gonna use.
I will try this when i make some adjustments with the recipe.
Thanks

I was lead to understand just recently that coconut will make preserving your sauce very difficult because it acts like a milk product. It is difficult to explain when English is not your native tongue.

Maybe someone else knows what I mean.

Never the less someone told me when I was asking about making chile paste with coconut I should freeze it if I want to keep it for longer time because it spoils fast.

Hope I'm making sense

I was lead to understand just recently that coconut will make preserving your sauce very difficult because it acts like a milk product. It is difficult to explain when English is not your native tongue.

Maybe someone else knows what I mean.

Never the less someone told me when I was asking about making chile paste with coconut I should freeze it if I want to keep it for longer time because it spoils fast.

Hope I'm making sense
That's why you cook and preserve. All of the ingredients can spoil, the peppers etc. so coconut milk is no different.

I don't know if we are talking about dry cocos or cocosmilk, I was gonna use Santen which is dried cocosmilk, it is a product used in the Malaysian Kitchen.

If I understand right the cocos milk will seperate and the milk will floot to the top and will spoil.

I'm just starting to develope a interest in sauces so please give me some slack here if I'm talking rubbish.

The sauce taste better than i expected for my first sauce!
Note to self. Next time ill get hot sauce bottles with a bigger opening.
It was a pain in the butt filling the 2 i used.
I hand squeezed it in with a turkey baster Yikes! haha
3 bottles I'll let it sit for a few days to a week and let you know how it taste then.

Fresh coconut
crushed pineapple
rice wine vinegar in food processor

IMG_2743 by RouteBound, on Flickr

I ended up with 7 choco 7's and 1 choco Bhut. This is placenta of a Choco Bhut.

IMG_2744 by RouteBound, on Flickr

Cooking..... Should this be in Drunken Chef lol

IMG_2745 by RouteBound, on Flickr

IMG_2746 by RouteBound, on Flickr

Finished product

IMG_2748 by RouteBound, on Flickr

Edit: I appreciate everyones input thanks alot!

I haven't made a sauce with coconut before but I have used sweet potato in a sauce and I've also made a sauce with spiced rum, though it was Cartain Morgans. I think if I were making this Inwould try using the Pepe Lopez. I know it's sweet however I believe that te sour of the limes and the spice of thenrum will do very well at cutting the sweetness. Not to mention the pungent essence of the peppers. I'd start with a minimal amount and then add mire till it was where I want it. While I do prefer using the natural item in this instance the coconut is going to be fiberous no matter how long you cook / blend it. JMHO.

Cheers,
RM

I haven't made a sauce with coconut before but I have used sweet potato in a sauce and I've also made a sauce with spiced rum, though it was Cartain Morgans. I think if I were making this Inwould try using the Pepe Lopez. I know it's sweet however I believe that te sour of the limes and the spice of thenrum will do very well at cutting the sweetness. Not to mention the pungent essence of the peppers. I'd start with a minimal amount and then add mire till it was where I want it. While I do prefer using the natural item in this instance the coconut is going to be fiberous no matter how long you cook / blend it. JMHO.

Cheers,
RM

The flesh was from a coconut i grabed last week.
I froze some of the flesh i thawed about 1/4 cup of it for this sauce.
I think with being froze then pureed before cooking then blended it is pretty fine so far.
We will see when it cools down.

I got some of my inspiration from your rum based sauce i found while doing some research for this sauce!

Wow very interesting recipe I have about 4 lbs of choc habs and several bottles of good rum leftover from a trip to st barts. I have nothing planned for the habs so I may do a variation of the above and give out bottles for reviews.

Wow very interesting recipe I have about 4 lbs of choc habs and several bottles of good rum leftover from a trip to st barts. I have nothing planned for the habs so I may do a variation of the above and give out bottles for reviews.

I think next time i try this one im gonna try to get a spicy pina coloda flavor.
That was the goal but im pleased with it so far.
Let us know how it goes!

Great idea for a sauce. Love coconut, never thought to use it. Nice! :dance:

Thanks man I combined some ideas i found well see how it stores.

I have some chocolate habs I'm trying to decide what to do with too. Stephen, were you able to get the coconut to puree without being too pulpy? Hey what about Malibu (coconut flavored) rum?

Back