• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Coffee hot sauce: Espresso infused vinegar?

I'm growing some chocolate habanero peppers this year and have been toying with the idea of making a coffee based hot sauce. I have a recipe that uses tomatoes for a smoother sauce, but I'm trying to figure out the beat way to get coffee flavor into the sauce. My first thought was espresso infused vinegar. Maybe running vinegar through a coffee or espresso maker. I've never done it nor can I find someone who has, so I'm not sure how much coffee flavor the vinegar would carry over, or how prominent it would be in the actual sauce.

Thoughts?

The Hot Pepper said:
I might skip vinegar and go lemon juice for preservation as well as flavor. Something about coffee and vinegar is outputting but coffee goes well with the acid and flavor of lemon. I could even see a Mexican version with coffee, lime, and chocolate, like a mole. :)

I'd go for the curious savoury molasses element of cane vinegar, personally. Goes great with the earthy flavours in chipotle sauces so why not Choc Habs and coffee?

I've made a coffee habanero hot sauce in a sous vide.  Brew/cook it at at a low temp to draw out the coffee flavour.     I put the vinegar, the fresh peppers, and some roasted jalapeno into a container and then had at ~70 degrees C for a few hours.    Then blend and filter into bottles.     

It has a coffee aroma without an overpowering smell.  it did not draw out as much of the heat from the peppers as I was anticipating, but still a nice burn to it, but the flavour is great.   Its like cold brew coffee as it does not pick up many of the bitter notes.   I quite like it and will be doing another batch once this one runs out. 

coldbrew said:
As a cold brew coffee fan I'd suggest adding coffee's mystery flavors with cold-brewed coffee. Most cook books recommend cold-brewed coffee in recipes since coffee's complex and subtle flavors are maintained. I've had good luck using a reusable cold brew coffee filter made by Madesco and sold on Amazon. It's easy to make, and cheap.

I second this, the minute you said you wanted to make coffee sauce, I thought "should use cold brew"

nilram said:
I've made a coffee habanero hot sauce in a sous vide.  Brew/cook it at at a low temp to draw out the coffee flavour.     I put the vinegar, the fresh peppers, and some roasted jalapeno into a container and then had at ~70 degrees C for a few hours.    Then blend and filter into bottles.     

It has a coffee aroma without an overpowering smell.  it did not draw out as much of the heat from the peppers as I was anticipating, but still a nice burn to it, but the flavour is great.   Its like cold brew coffee as it does not pick up many of the bitter notes.   I quite like it and will be doing another batch once this one runs out. 

wow I never thought of using my sous vide in the hot sauce making process.  I may need to start a new thread for this

Back