• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Collapsing plants

Fellow Hot Heads,
Got a definite type of situation here. I'm starting to lose plants like crazy. They don't even wilt, they just collapse and die. It appears they've been infected with a soil born fungi (either Fusarium or a Verticilium wilt) that I introduced into my pepper patch (4X8 raised bed) when I planted an heirloom tomato (green zebra) there. big mistake. A little more time on the net has informed me these heirloom tomato aren't resistant to these fungi and in effect are carriers. I'll tell you its pretty painful to watch plants you've raised from seed and cared for for over three months, go belly up in 48 hours. I pulled five plants, which were, until very lately, very healthy, all just given up the ghost.
Any fellow pepper pushers dealt with this disaster?
Is the rest of the pepper patch going to follow suit and die?
Anybody have any suggestions or tips for dealing with this?
Thanks in advance, hope everybodys' gardens are going good. or at least better than where mine is headed.

Use H202(Peroxide) 3% add 1 cup 3% to 1 gallon of water then add 1 tsp of Epsom salt to the same water, mix well and treat your plants top to bottom including saturation of the soil, you will need to do this mix one time then remove the Epsom from the next batch, which you need to apply in 3 days, then 5 days later do a follow up treatment. H202 breaks down fast you cannot store it once you mix it, apply it, use at sunset or sunrise never in direct sun. GL

That sounds much like what got to some of my overwinters this year. The small plants (jalapenos) just utterly died. But it was even more drastic for them - one day before I went to bed I'd look at them and they'd be fine, wake up the next morning and they were done for. The larger plants took a smaller hit, but even some of them took serious hits. One rocoto seemed to be entirely dead, but I kept watering it and eventually a new stem came out of the base. The rest of the plant entirely shrivelled up and died. That was the worst - the best one only had one branch die.

Ultimately what I'm getting at is even though things look bad, if you do the treatment Prehensile stated a few times, the plants may pull through in spite of it all.

Back