• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe-help Combining peppers, does it change the heat?

My question (see last 2 sentences) is when I prepare my peppers, I have mixed Carolina Reapers with Ghost Peppers and Habaneros. It didn't quite have the heat I hoped for. I made them raw this time around. However, I ordered more Reapers and more Habaneros and plan to roast the peppers this time, hopefully activating the Capsaicin better.

I am looking to make the hottest buffalo wing sauce I've ever had. I mention in my introduction that I had one place in my entire 56 years that made wings with the heat level I loved. I had to sign a waiver to eat them. I can't find anyplace like it, so I need to make my own.

My Question is am I bringing down the heat by adding Habaneros to my Reapers? I want this to be scorching hot and don't want to reduce the heat level. Will mixing peppers bring down the heat or just add flavor?

Sure it does.

If you're looking to hurt yourself, try a drop or two of THIS. You'll be sorry you did.

If you're mixing less spicy peppers with more spicy peppers then you are effectively diluting the heat level by using the less spicy peppers. To keep it as hot as possible, stick to the spiciest peppers only. Personally, I don't think that reapers taste that great but I do like the flavour from ghost pepper varieties. I would use just ghost peppers.

Capsaicin breaks down at 400F so roasting your peppers at high temps is going to make them less hot, not more. If you want more heat then keep your temps lower - you are effectively caramelizing the sugars in the peppers (which happens at 320F) and drawing water off. So keep your temps above 320 and below 400 and you should be good.

Note that anything you add to your wing sauce will be diluting the heat so keep the pepper proportion of the sauce as high as you can!

If you're mixing less spicy peppers with more spicy peppers then you are effectively diluting the heat level by using the less spicy peppers. To keep it as hot as possible, stick to the spiciest peppers only. Personally, I don't think that reapers taste that great but I do like the flavour from ghost pepper varieties. I would use just ghost peppers.

Capsaicin breaks down at 400F so roasting your peppers at high temps is going to make them less hot, not more. If you want more heat then keep your temps lower - you are effectively caramelizing the sugars in the peppers (which happens at 320F) and drawing water off. So keep your temps above 320 and below 400 and you should be good.

Note that anything you add to your wing sauce will be diluting the heat so keep the pepper proportion of the sauce as high as you can!
..."Capsaicin breaks down at 400F so roasting your peppers at high temps is going to make them less hot, not more. If you want more heat then keep your temps lower - you are effectively caramelizing the sugars in the peppers (which happens at 320F) and drawing water off. So keep your temps above 320 and below 400 and you should be good.".......I wasn't aware of this before reading your post. Thanks for the info, Siv.
CM

Back