• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Complete newb to indoor growing

I live in Zone 5 (some years it's more like a 4). I've grown a few different types of peppers outside starting in late april. There was a big garden at that house. We moved and now there's no garden outside yet, but a huge empty basement or empty upstairs rooms with large windows. I've never grown anything indoors before. What do I need to start - just looking to do maybe a dozen (mainly superhot) plants. Can you start cheap?

I live in Zone 5 (some years it's more like a 4). I've grown a few different types of peppers outside starting in late april. There was a big garden at that house. We moved and now there's no garden outside yet, but a huge empty basement or empty upstairs rooms with large windows. I've never grown anything indoors before. What do I need to start - just looking to do maybe a dozen (mainly superhot) plants. Can you start cheap?

depends on what you mean by cheep. you can get pretty much everything you need to grow for 120 bucks(idk what the shipping is prob. another 20 bucks.)assuming you are going to grow in soil.
http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47929
problem is thats pretty much only good for 3x3 maby 4x4. i dont think you are going to get 12 plants under that. maby 9.
you might also want to look at a floro lamp for starting seeds.

I purchased my whole lighting system for around $700.00 which includes the reflector/ballast/inline fan/metal halide bulb and high pressure sodium bulb. Granted you will be able to purchase a HID system for a lot cheaper.
IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

Haaaaaa, no I actually purchased the carbon filter because I didn't have the time to vent the fan out into the garage. I have however completed that and wow what a difference. It lowered the humidity and the temperature by 5 degrees. Keeps a consistent temp of 75 to 76 degrees. Thanks to all the great advice from members here, I've been able to have some pretty good success so far.

I purchased my whole lighting system for around $700.00 which includes the reflector/ballast/inline fan/metal halide bulb and high pressure sodium bulb. Granted you will be able to purchase a HID system for a lot cheaper.

I have pretty much the same setup, but because I got my stuff used (seized stuff from the feds) I paid around $200 for my entire setup of a 400 & 1000 ballast, hood, fan, and bulbs. Although running the 1000 watt HPS cost about $20 a month I don't mind since I saved so much on the equipment. This year i'm going to try and run the setup outside on a patio instead of the closet. I'll post pics once I set it up.

The windows face northwest so there's very little direct sun, but a lot of indirect light. By cheap I mean around $200 for maybe 8-12 plants. It's not an investment into anything commercial - I'm going to eat most of them myself :) I just don't think I can do superhots outdoors in my climate, or am I wrong? With HPS, do you need a tent and ventilation also?

I don't think you will be able to grow to maturity inside with an investment of $200...I found out growing inside is a lot more expensive than I originally thought.

thats my 2 cents...

I have pretty much the same setup, but because I got my stuff used (seized stuff from the feds) I paid around $200 for my entire setup of a 400 & 1000 ballast, hood, fan, and bulbs. Although running the 1000 watt HPS cost about $20 a month I don't mind since I saved so much on the equipment. This year i'm going to try and run the setup outside on a patio instead of the closet. I'll post pics once I set it up.

WOW, thats really cool. where could i look into getting stuff seized by the police?

also, do you indend on running the light outside? they actually make HPS enclosures for greenhouse environments for when supplemental light is needed.

Haaaaaa, no I actually purchased the carbon filter because I didn't have the time to vent the fan out into the garage. I have however completed that and wow what a difference. It lowered the humidity and the temperature by 5 degrees. Keeps a consistent temp of 75 to 76 degrees. Thanks to all the great advice from members here, I've been able to have some pretty good success so far.

lol i was just kidding around. i assumed you just got a good deal on a fan/filter combo.

The windows face northwest so there's very little direct sun, but a lot of indirect light. By cheap I mean around $200 for maybe 8-12 plants. It's not an investment into anything commercial - I'm going to eat most of them myself :) I just don't think I can do superhots outdoors in my climate, or am I wrong? With HPS, do you need a tent and ventilation also?

i run only 3 plants under my 600 watt hps, i could easily do 6, but i want big plants. i think you will find that 8-12 is to many plants to grow out to maturity under a single lamp.
in a 3x3 or 4x4 space i think you could fit 9 square 3 gallon pots.
tents are mostly for keeping your bright ass lamp from blasting light all over your room and out windows etc, i dont use one and my window even with curtains glows like the sun. obviously reflective tents also redirect lumens that would be otherwise lost back into your plants.
with a tent however you will need some kind of ventilation because they are so small, you will also need to vent if your room is smallish like under 6x10, but you could just open a window and jam a box fan in there. MAKE SURE you have a screen on that window... all that light attracts bugs like nobodies business. i had my screen knocked out for like 6 hours at night and there were bugs ALL over my room. it sucked bad.

honestly i would go with 6 big pots and grow bigger plants. you will want to make sure the plants you choose to grow at similar rates.

I don't think you will be able to grow to maturity inside with an investment of $200...I found out growing inside is a lot more expensive than I originally thought.
i think you can.. if you don't get crazy buying tents and fans and go with a cheep growing solution like DWC or hand watered coco/soil.

thats my 2 cents...

In normal circumstances $200 won't even get your started, but I picked up a 400 watt mh/hps ballast for $20, new bulbs for $10, a 1000 watt mh for $30 and a 1000 watt hps for $20. The fan was $30 and the cool tubes where $30 each. I actually have enough equipment to run 2 closets for $200, but I only use the MH for growing out seeds.

WOW, thats really cool. where could i look into getting stuff seized by the police?

also, do you indend on running the light outside? they actually make HPS enclosures for greenhouse environments for when supplemental light is needed.

Due to the size and weight they don't ship most of the stuff being sold and it's pickup only. Because it's not illegal to grow and sale by state law in cali there are a LOT of growers. However it is still against the Federal law so the FBI will still raid and confiscate equipment. Not sure how it all works from the legal side, but any and all equipment seized is sent to a central location and sold and it all starts at a $1.00

Due to the size and weight they don't ship most of the stuff being sold and it's pickup only. Because it's not illegal to grow and sale by state law in cali there are a LOT of growers. However it is still against the Federal law so the FBI will still raid and confiscate equipment. Not sure how it all works from the legal side, but any and all equipment seized is sent to a central location and sold and it all starts at a $1.00

so did you just show up at an auction somewhere local? or did you use one of these websites like propertyroom.com

200 bucks is a steal.

Yeah they are a good resource, but a little far from me and prices have gone up in the last few years. There are a couple more that doesn't have as much of a selection, but are not as well known and prices are a lot better. I recall getting new in box 1000 watt eye hortilux bulbs for a buck from PR a couple of years ago.

Not super hots but I have had 5 Thai's growing in my bedroom window supplemented by a 14 watt LED unit ($30.00 on EBay) plus 2 CFL's. That's about as cheap as you can get and the plants were a year old in July. Plus they are still blooming.

Not super hots but I have had 5 Thai's growing in my bedroom window supplemented by a 14 watt LED unit ($30.00 on EBay) plus 2 CFL's. That's about as cheap as you can get and the plants were a year old in July. Plus they are still blooming.

no offense but from what ive heard, those random LED panels on ebay are bunk. have you noticed a difference when using it?

still think the HTG 400watt kit for 120 bucks is the way to go.

edit:

Not sure if you can do it for $200, especially if you use new equipment, but ~$300? Yes. Build a 4'x4' grow box (actually, about a 3.75x3.75( and cover it with a 4'x4' cover. Make it about 1' tall. Drill 3" holes every 10" in the top and stick a net pot in it. Stick a 550 GPH submersible pump in the box and using 1/2" PVC, drill 3/64" holes where the plants will sit.

Stick a 600 watt MH light over it and line the walls with Mylar. Also, buy a pair of scissors and a small oscillating fan (trim the bottom leaves, use the fan to move the air). You can grow 16 plants.

Mike

The LED may be bunk but I still use it this time of year when there is less natural light. My Thai's are still blooming so I will keep using it. Will they do as well without? I don't know. I don't really want to risk them. They were a year old in July and am on my third harvest this year. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

smy4cw.jpg
2r76frm.jpg

11m5no8.jpg

Back