• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2015

And so it begins!!

Well planning anyway...

I've put together my grow list for the year.  I'm scaling back the number of varieties, opting instead to grow more of each variety.

Here's what I will have going:
Mild-Medium:
Banana x3 
Jalapeno x3
Huge Bell x3
Orange Bell x3
Orchid/Bishop's Hat x2

Supers (Yellow)
Yellow 7 Pot Brainstrain x4

Supers (Red) -
Monster Naga x5
7 Pot Caramel x5

Supers (Brown) -
7 Pot Brown x7
Brown Moruga Scorpion x7

I will be planting the supers on Feb. 1 and the rest will be started on Mar. 1.

This is the tentative layout for the community garden:
Community%20Plot.png

I'll be back on in a few weeks!

compmodder26 said:
I've begun the potting up process.  Plants are doing well overall.  The Annuums and Baccatums are starting to show signs of yellowing now.  I know it cannot be due to overwatering as I'm waiting for their leaves to droop before watering anymore.  Thinking the Happy Frog isn't giving them what they need for some reason.  I've never had issues with Happy Frog before, but this bag doesn't seem to be working out.  I gave my first starts a weak dose of nutrients and they've seemed to start greening back up nicely.  We'll see how my potups do in a week or so.

Hey, Brian!   I've found that even with the Happy Frog/Ocean Forest combo I use,
I still need to feed my plants with a dilute fish fert,  and add a little Cal-Mag to the water. 
I think the N in the fish fert provides for the green, healthy looking veg growth, while
the Fox Farms combo provides the micro-nutrients.  I always add some mycorhizae
to the transplants and pot-ups so the plants can access those micro nutes.

On the subject of the Fox Farms soil, I notice that my latest bags (not sure which type)
have a lot of gravel in it.  There have always been a rock or two, but every time I transplant
into the cups, I throw out a few pieces of gravel, 1/2"  size or so.  I wonder if they are
dredging forest streams down in Humboldt County?

Good luck with those pot-ups, buddy!

PaulG said:
Hey, Brian!   I've found that even with the Happy Frog/Ocean Forest combo I use,
I still need to feed my plants with a dilute fish fert,  and add a little Cal-Mag to the water. 
I think the N in the fish fert provides for the green, healthy looking veg growth, while
the Fox Farms combo provides the micro-nutrients.  I always add some mycorhizae
to the transplants and pot-ups so the plants can access those micro nutes.

On the subject of the Fox Farms soil, I notice that my latest bags (not sure which type)
have a lot of gravel in it.  There have always been a rock or two, but every time I transplant
into the cups, I throw out a few pieces of gravel, 1/2"  size or so.  I wonder if they are
dredging forest streams down in Humboldt County?

Good luck with those pot-ups, buddy!

This is the first year that I've started with Happy Frog that resulted in me having to supplement so early.  Last year it was about 1.5 months after potting up that I had to supplement.  As for the gravel, I've not noticed any gravel at all.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Glad to see they are loving their new home...won't be long until they are outside for good producing pods!

I can't wait.  Only got about 2-3 more weeks before I begin hardening them off.  I try to shoot for after Mother's Day for plant out.

I just moved all mine upstairs and plan to start the process myself. Your plants are looking great. Right now I have them in a southern facing morning room with windows on 3 sides and keep the windows up. They are getting a decent amount of sun but nothing like once I take them out into that direct southern sun. This is the process I hate most!

Best of luck Brian

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I just moved all mine upstairs and plan to start the process myself. Your plants are looking great. Right now I have them in a southern facing morning room with windows on 3 sides and keep the windows up. They are getting a decent amount of sun but nothing like once I take them out into that direct southern sun. This is the process I hate most!

Best of luck Brian

I hate the hardening process too!  My eventual goal is to live somewhere where I can just start from seed outdoors.  Thanks for stopping in Chris!

Back