• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

cooking "Cooking" peppers before making sauce - grill boil steam oven

Usually fire roast, oven, or Sautee with clean oils pending consistency and flavor, or you can just straight up ferment half pods and process after 90 days or so. But like already stated there's not really a "right way" unless you're going for specifics. I Usually Sautee or fire roast myself. Give every try a shot and see what suits your needs.

It all depends what you want your sauce to taste like but most of the time I blend my peppers with the other ingredients and then slow cook/sauté it from 30-60 minutes. I have several smoked/dried types of peppers that I will add if I'm looking for that kind of flavor. I haven't fire roasted and peppers yet for a bottled sauce but I might give that a try soon and see how I like that profile. I really like that profile with LuckyDog's sauce.

Hothotsauce said:
Thanks for the replies! How bad are the fumes if just making a pint/quart... for habs and jalapenos - do i really need to cook outside?

IMHO when you are cooking anything at a hab or hotter its best to go outside. The only sauces I cook inside now are jalapeno's, bishops, starfish etc...... Anything hotter and the family has serious probems.

Thanks SavinaRed. Can I ask do you blend in a blender either before you cook on store or after you cook? Do you do this outside also? Or is it really just the pot on the stove cooking everything that releases all of the fumes? Big thanks

Hothotsauce said:
Thanks SavinaRed. Can I ask do you blend in a blender either before you cook on store or after you cook? Do you do this outside also? Or is it really just the pot on the stove cooking everything that releases all of the fumes? Big thanks

Yes I use a Blendtec blender as it gets my sauce really smooth prior to cooking. I blend inside and cook outside.

All the answers are good, there's so many ways. One way to do it is approach it as if you are making a marinara sauce from raw tomatoes. Now do that for hot sauce with peppers. Sauce is sauce, sometimes. Don't be scared to mess up. That's how you learn.

Back