• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Creating crosses

yeah, I remember a lot of this stuff from bio/molecular genetics classes, but that was simple stuff and for alles like human traits and stuff, not entire plant genes ect..

it will definitly take a few years to get something good, but I'll just keep growing and mixing/selecting till I get something cool and unique, then grow them out and pass the seeds around!

With all this new information I feel that I really got ahead of myself thinking of trying this. It seems that to do this properly you need a significant amount of land to grow all these different generations. I definitely don't have that big of a garden let alone the amount of land! I'm not gonna let it deter me though from experimenting and seeing what I can do on a smaller scale. Even thinking about it though, I still have to breed this summer to get f1's for 2013. So who knows what I'll have in a few years or it will just take a lot longer than if it were to be done properly.

yea i'm in the same boat, I would just grow a few of each and pick one that looks the best out of them and get the pods from that and go from there.. soo much much smaller scale like you, but if you think about it, there is still a chance to get the results you want relatively quickly.. (within a few generations), but you'd just have to get lucky, otherwise it will just take longer. but no mater what your still narrowing down the traits you want.. and really for me, I just want something different, I'm not picking, just a change in shape/color/taste, or anything really would be cool

With all this new information I feel that I really got ahead of myself thinking of trying this. It seems that to do this properly you need a significant amount of land to grow all these different generations. I definitely don't have that big of a garden let alone the amount of land! I'm not gonna let it deter me though from experimenting and seeing what I can do on a smaller scale. Even thinking about it though, I still have to breed this summer to get f1's for 2013. So who knows what I'll have in a few years or it will just take a lot longer than if it were to be done properly.

If you're just doing it for fun...there's no point in rushing it anyway!

you can plant the plants crowded in pots or in sub-optimal spacing in beds or the ground, and then you can at least select for pod color, shape, taste, heat, etc.

you wont be able to see the true stature of the plant, but when you make initial selections based on pods, you can then grow out fewer plants and start selecteing for plant habit.

lots of ways to do it.

like stc3248 says, no need to rush it. just make some crosses and grow them out.

you often find things you werent looking for, it can be very exciting to see the fruits of your labors.....

good luck!

that's cool, I was worried about where the heck I was going to put them all, but I can dig out an area on the side of the yard that actually has good soil, just filled with weeds/brush stuff.. could plant a bunch of them on the side there, I just can't wait for the spring now

maybe its only really considered an F1 generation if the parents are both true-breeding?

Ya, its only an f1 if the parents are both different, stable, true breeding varieties
Breeding reqires lots of plants to do it right, I've tried small time and it was just a waste of time. You could get lucky but the odds are not in your favor when growing 1 or 2 vs. 50 or 100. You may get an odd shaped pod out of the deal but have terrible production or flavor or whatever. Only 1 out of 50 of my whipppet's tail X chinese 5 color f2s was worth continuing dehybridizing, now I wish I had of grown 100+

Ya, its only an f1 if the parents are both different, stable, true breeding varieties
Breeding reqires lots of plants to do it right, I've tried small time and it was just a waste of time. You could get lucky but the odds are not in your favor when growing 1 or 2 vs. 50 or 100. You may get an odd shaped pod out of the deal but have terrible production or flavor or whatever. Only 1 out of 50 of my whipppet's tail X chinese 5 color f2s was worth continuing dehybridizing, now I wish I had of grown 100+

What method would you have in mind for isolating flowers on 100 plants? Gelatine capsule halves?

I don't isolate 100 flowers or plants, I choose 1 or 2 plants with the most desirable qualities and then isolate them for inbreeding.
If you have hundreds of varieties, it would be quite difficult to isolate all of them. I've never used gel caps personally so I can't really comment

that is my worry, that I won't get anything at all by the end of the summer, but now that I know I can grow a bunch in a small area just so I can get the pods from them, I should be able to grow about 20 of them I would think.. and maybe even around 40 if I have enough pots lying around, which I should, going to have a tonnn of peppers this year, going to be a busy summer haha

If you're just doing it for fun...there's no point in rushing it anyway!
you can plant the plants crowded in pots or in sub-optimal spacing in beds or the ground, and then you can at least select for pod color, shape, taste, heat, etc.

you wont be able to see the true stature of the plant, but when you make initial selections based on pods, you can then grow out fewer plants and start selecteing for plant habit.

lots of ways to do it.

like stc3248 says, no need to rush it. just make some crosses and grow them out.

you often find things you werent looking for, it can be very exciting to see the fruits of your labors.....

good luck!

You guys are absolutely right! I shouldn't worry about doing it the proper way and just go with it and have fun.

Actually you're wrong. Any population generated from a cross between two different parents is called F1 (Filial1 so first offsprings), regardless the genetics of the respective parents. BUT it is true that the F1 will be uniform only if the parents are homozygous and no cross-overs, deletions or other occur. For some characters there are also non-nuclear genes involved, so there are chances of getting offtypes even in a uniform F1 population.

Single cross hybrids — result from the cross between two true breeding organisms and produces an F1 generation called an F1 hybrid (F1 is short for Filial 1, meaning "first offspring"). The cross between two different homozygous lines produces an F1 hybrid that is heterozygous; having two alleles, one contributed by each parent and typically one is dominant and the other recessive. The F1 generation is also phenotypically homogeneous, producing offspring that are all similar to each other.
http://en.wikipedia....Hybrid_(biology)

F1 hybrid is a term used in genetics and selective breeding. F1 stands for Filial 1, the first filial generation seeds/plants or animal offspring resulting from a cross mating of distinctly different parental types
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_hybrid

The way I learned it in College was that the F1 is the only real hybrid stage, after that you're dehybridizing. Crossing an F1 with an F2 would not really give you a true hybrid, although Wiki and others call them double and/or three way hybrids which to me is not really correct

Back