• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Cross pollinating peppers

So I saw a couple youtube videos on cross pollinating peppers and it looks easy and really interesting and fun to try.
I saw the chart which shows what happens when cross male and female of different varieties...
Pretend I made a cross, that based on the cart I knew was Highly Fertile (as I'd want to share seeds of this variety if it comes out well)...
Could you guess if alot of the flavor or shape will come from the male or female or its a surprise what you will get when you plant the seeds next year? ...
Like a male very spicy large pepper with a female small pepper that is not very hot...
Could you somewhat predict anything?

Thanks!,
-Arian

You can somewhat predict the f1 generation since they all grow the same and it will be the dominant genes from both the mother and father that will show ie. red will always be dominant. After that, recessive genes will become part of the picture so you'll have to grow a lot of plants and only choose the most desirable for many years.

Back