• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Cross with Bhut and ?

Hi to all from the cold north

I have been following this forum for a long time quietely, but now it is time for my first post.

A friend of mine was supposed to grow Bhut Jolokia, but some cross pollination has occured.

The F1 generation produced all red pods. Some elongated both with and without the "bhut bumps" some with a more crinkled habanero shape, but although quite similar to Bhut Jolokia in leave shape, flowers and most pods.

The F2 generation produced 9 red and 1 orange with much variety among the pods and the features of Bhut Jolokia were diminishing. The flowers on all plants seems to be "chinense" cremish with with blue anthers. Flower pr. node are 2-4. All fruits very pungent! :mouthonfire:

The original grower remembered it as if the parent plant was grown next to a baccatum lemon/limon of some sort. But he is not sure.

So my question is more or less - would it be possible to narrow the field, which cultivar could have crossed with Bhut Jolokia to produce this:

Plant F2 orange:

Cross1.jpg

Closer look at F2 orange pod and calyx:

cross3.jpg

cross2.jpg

Red pod cross F[sub]3[/sub] plant:

crossredf2.jpg

Another red pod cross F[sub]2[/sub] plant:

crossred3-1-1.jpg

/Jadia :)

I like the pepper in the bottle, I have done this with little airline liquor bottles.
Not sure what it crossed with, but I have found that number to be about right for OP seed(1 in 10 cross)
And alot of times if you grow it out f3, it will revert back to one of the parents.
And most of all ... Hello and Welcome from Atlanta!

Thank you all for your answers, input and welcome greetings :)

We will assume it is a bhut*orange hab.

Wayright, you got me a bit worried now ;). It would be a shame if F[sub]3[/sub] reverted back. The orange colour and the heat are two features we would like to stabilize. Among with the shorter time to full maturity compared to bhut and habs and the adaptation to a colder climate which it seems to handle quite well. Hopefully with enough plants to select from this will be possible.

Thanks again,

Jadia

Back