• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cutting question

I'm growing Yellow 7s from a rooted cutting that I took at the end of last season.  If I take a cutting from that plant and grow it out next season, will that plant's lifespan be as if I grew it from seed, or as if I overwintered the current plant?

i believe the plant acts more as if it grew from seed, as if it were a new plant. a completely new root structure and completely new stem and tissue growth. the plant does not "know" it came from an older plant, and age/lifespan has more to do with size and root structure. kind of like taking a 50 yr old tree which has many rings which indicates it's age and taking a branch and restarting it as another tree. a complete new set of rings begin to form. it's similar to growing certain vegetable/fruit plants that can only be grown from plants that were already previously established..

for the past 4-5 years i've been growing a pepper plant that came from a previous plant. each year i take a cutting and restart it the following year. this process can be repeated hundreds, if not thousands of times. the DNA is within the plant tissue, not the root system, so the plant grows pretty much genetically identical to the plant it came from. the plant will also grow as vigorous as if it were from seed. an older plant that was "overwintered" will grow much slower and won't fruit as fast (early) as a plant started from a cutting. this is why cloning plants is superior than overwintering a plant, in my opinion anyway.. i bet you'll be pleasantly surprised how you might end up with a MUCH better plant next season :-)

pepper plants don't really have a "vegetative" state like a lot of other plants do. they just flower when they feel like it, small or big..
i've had peppers from seed or cuttings flower only a couple weeks after spouting, bearing fruit at only 5-6 inches tall.. does that mark the plant DNA as "mature" pepper plant?

believe what you want.. :-)

these are 3 week old pepper plants, started from seed, about 6 inches tall, already sending out flower buds..

UzxiF9Z.jpg

whether there is DNA in the roots or not, the plant doesn't give 2 shits about it because the plant grows based on the DNA in the stem cells..hence a cutting has no roots and the plant still grows genetically identical to the plant it came from. it's new plant and plant will flower when ever it's ready day 1 or day 30.. seed, cutting or whatever...

Reactions: DMF
dragon49 said:
 If I take a cutting from that plant and grow it out next season, will that plant's lifespan be as if I grew it from seed, or ,,,

Huh?  AFAIK peppers don't have a "lifespan".  There are decades old pepper plants happily producing pods. 

Now, I have had plants that seemed to peter out after 5 years or so.  But that may be as due to the fact that I rarely do a full media change at the end of the year as any sort of natural lifespan.  Other plants of the same varieties have continued on.

Now what's this nonsense about "no DNA"?  ALL (well, almost all) cells have DNA.  They can't reproduce without it.  Roots grow, ipso facto they have DNA.

a marijuana plant will have start alternating nodes when it is sexually mature
if i clone that sexually mature plant the clones will have alternating nodes also(even though they r only 2 weeks old)

a cloned plant is the same age as its mother- hence heckle trying to teach u smth stevie

N8thaniel said:
a marijuana plant will have start alternating nodes when it is sexually mature
if i clone that sexually mature plant the clones will have alternating nodes also(even though they r only 2 weeks old)

a cloned plant is the same age as its mother- hence heckle trying to teach u smth stevie

yawn..

a pot plant isn't a pepper plant. last i remember you cannot take cuttings from a flowering pot plant because some how you have to stress it and force it back into vegetative growth by manipulating the amount of light hours it gets, and even doing that chance of success is slim., pepper plant does not matter at what point you take a cutting, it's obviously better if you don't take a cutting from a terminal that already has already flowers on it. a pepper plant is in constant vegetative growth and flowering stages simultaneously. once a marijuana plant grows flowers it is DONE, it won't grow much at all after that.

here is a Tabasco cutting i took from a mature plant loaded with chiles:

home-design.jpg

transplanted about a month later

home-design.jpg

so much for "flowering on day 1"

no flowers in sight, it's growing as if it were started from seed as i mentioned above, it looks exactly like the mother plant which was started from seed. maybe i should ask the cutting if it knows where it came from and what year it was amputated..

i'm done.
cheers, have a good day.

lol you u know nothing about plant biology hahahaha

everything u said about plants was wrong

"you cannot take cuttings from a flowering pot plant"

WRONG

"once a marijuana plant grows flowers it is DONE"

WRONG

you can control the flowering/vegatative stage in peppers by using high N furtilisor and regulating temp to keep it constantly in veg 

i guess you are feeding your cuttings a high N furt?

stevie said:

transplanted about a month later

so much for "flowering on day 1"

no flowers in sight

For a cutting taken from a plant loaded with chiles it sure is bare of flowers.

DMF said:
I think that was the point.

Nah the before picture.

stevie said:

home-design.jpg

stevie said:
the plant still grows genetically identical to the plant it came from.

so it doesnt grow like a seedling?
Know what telomeres are?

Oh, you mean no flowers on the cutting.  Interesting point.

According to giigle, telomeres are the shoe-lace caps on the end of DNA strands. 

Telomeres are the protective caps on the ends of the strands of DNA called chromosomes, which house our genomes. In young humans, telomeres are about 8,000-10,000 nucleotides long. They shorten with each cell division, however, and when they reach a critical length the cell stops dividing or dies. This internal “clock” makes it difficult to keep most cells growing in a laboratory for more than a few cell doublings.
telomere-extension-turns-back-aging-clock-in-cultured-cells

So the number of cell divisions appears to have an upper limit.  What are you concluding from this? 

I've grown a second gen canna. Budded two seasons, outdoors. Cuttings DO know how old they are, just ask one, it'll hold up a couple leaves. And I know this cause the Pepper Daemon told me during a torture session whilst I was burning his feet with a hot poker for information.

I twigged to something last night. 

Every single Haas avocado tree is a clone of a single tree.  Haas clones have been made from clones for the past 80 years, making current clone DNA 90 years old.

Now, perhaps there is an absolute lifespan implied by the little shoelace caps.  The more interesting question is, so what?  Does that fact have practical implications?  It doesn't seem to for avocados.  Why would we think it does for peppers?

Back