• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Datil Patch's 2011 Grow Log

Sorry for the bad pick from my Phone, but here are the first 404 seeds stated on 1-19-2011. The large trays are 192 cell Plantel trays. I used a light cable to build a warming table with 3/4" pink foamboard. I have my fingers crossed otherwise. I will post a list in a bit.

peppers%20starts%20-%202011-01-20%2014.55.13.jpg

New update...

I salvaged what I could from the trays and dumped them at the end of February. I reseeded in some smaller trays on Feb 13 and 14. The Naga Jolokias that I got from JustaGuy came up 23 of 24.

Naga%20Jolokia%20-%202011-03-06%2001.08.44%20-%20r.jpg

Just about the same with the Red 7Pot from Buddy. I have to get a photo.

The overwintered Bhut Jolokia in a 4gal pot. Quarter at base for reference. In the week since the photo was taken it has really started sprouting out. Since the rest of my NMSU Bhut seeds were a bust, I will be cutting some of the shoots at the bottom of the stem for cloning.
Bhut%20Jolokia%201b%20-%202011-02-08%2017.50.02.jpg

more Datils to follow.

I haven't had the best of luck with the NMSU BHuts. I ordered 2 packs of seeds (approx 25 seeds) last year. I planted 20 seeds and 2 germed. I planted the remaining seeds this year, and they haven't popped yet, and it has been since Jan. NMSU notes on their website that the Bhut seeds can be difficult to get started. If I get fruit from them this year I will save the seeds and try again next year, along with overwintering the "Bhig Bhut".

Todays photo. These are half a tray of Red 7Pots, and 24 Naga Jolokias. A bit of a change since the 8th.

7Pots%20and%20Naga%20Jolokias%20-%202011-03-13%2019.53.57.jpg

The Scorps in the little white pot is from my failed first set of trays. 2 of 8 survived. The axillary buds were burned out by spraying the starts with fish emulsion. But given some time they budded again, although a little gnarled, but they will grow out of it- slowly. The tray on the right is full of milds and sweets.

Do you ever rotate the trays? They all seem to be leaning to the center yelling "give me the light!"

Side note: I had 9 of 10 Bhuts pop from NMSU....maybe you just got a bad batch.

Do you ever rotate the trays? They all seem to be leaning to the center yelling "give me the light!"

Side note: I had 9 of 10 Bhuts pop from NMSU....maybe you just got a bad batch.

Yes I rotate them, but they reorient fast. There is a row of lights right down the center of each tray, but alternating 5000k and 6500k bulbs. They prefer the 5000k bulbs.

I may have gotten an old batch of Bhut seeds. I don't think I will have to worry about Bhut seeds that much this year. The Bhig Bhut is already starting to set bloom buds. So I expect some pods and seed. That and I just took 10 cuttings off the stem to try rooting them.

I've been kinda lax in updating lately.

I put out some Lady Bugs on my hydro buckets cause they are just getting eaten up with aphids and neem and organocide only seem to work for a day or 2 and the dang ants run back to the buckets carrying the suckers like aborigines with missionaries.

They have ony been munching along for a few hours when I noticed they are not all Ladies...

IMG_1543.JPG

There were 6 or 8 dogpiled on the leaf before I stupidly poked them all to disperse. I didn't realize I was interupting an orgy. Of course then I became a voyeur and took a picture.

a mini update... I was asked about the Douglahs I managed to get started.

2011-03-26%2022.26.52.jpg

An arial view of the Douglahs.
2011-03-26%2022.27.40.jpg

Douglahs class of 2011.
2011-03-26%2022.27.34.jpg

Yeah, I used some recyled pots, and didn't clean off the old name.

A field of dreams...

Red 7 Pots. 34 of them to be exact.
2011-03-27%2020.27.08.jpg

Note the little Red security officer patrolling the plants. Hope he makes out better than the Red Shirts on Star Trek.

Its cool how the security patrolsthe plant. I have sat watching them for ages and they walk every leaf up and down, top and bottom, over and under, they just keep walking, always looking. They could teach human security guards a thing or two.

A quick update. Tomorrow afternoon will be potting up day. Everything is going into 16oz cups, and some sweets are going into new trays. In the meantime here is a short Lady Bug video.

Back