• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

in-ground Dead ground

I asked the guy from OSU (Ohio State) who writes the Twig Walkingstick column (a science for children article) what they might be. If this picture

myxo6.jpg

had silver balls rather than the red ones, it would be an exact match. Myxostelida - resting spores splitting open to release myxamoebae - Trichiales - young sporangia of Trichia decipiens - Trichiales - plasmodiocarp of Hemitrichia serpula - whatever the heck that means.

It mentions that a lack of phosphate may be partially responsible. Isn't that the nuit needed to promote good roots?

Mike

An update

This is interesting.

I dug up the top 5-6 inches of dirt in part of the dead space in my garden, then rotary tilled (or tried to - the ground was literally as hard as concrete thanks to this drought) it. I sowed wheat. Look at the photo. It's like a line of demarcation. I'm going to water it again this evening and hope that something sprouts but there must be something in the ground that shouldn't be there. Wheat will almost germinate on rocks!

wheat.jpg

Mike

Definantly something there, any drinkers in the house? I remember i used to relieve myself on a particular patch of grass once and it didn't like it :) Mind you your patch is a little larger...
Maybe it's a primative form of crop circle.

I agree; It's caused by some kind of ET spacecraft's radiation. I guess they don't care about the damage they do to the soil they land on.

I don't think it could be a spaceship because it's a straight line and we all know spaceships are oval!

My neighbor told me there you to be and elephant trap there. This guy dug a square piece of ground up to a level of about eight feet then added about six inches of ashes over all the ground. To attract the elephants, he lined the square hole with peas and then hid. When an elephant would come

this is poor, I know....

to take a pea, he would kick it in the ash hole.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Just to make a liar out of me, the water has now started to turn a little green. But it has some - er, silver bells - growing in it. They are somewhat hard to photograph but these pix should give you an idea of what they look like.

jar1.jpg

jar4.jpg

It's hard to see from the pix (and with the naked eye is ain't easy) but it appears they are growing on some kind of a stem - they are not floating on the top or laying on the dirt. Today is the first day I have seen them, perhaps because I don't check the water frequently.

Crossing my fingers my dead ground actually produces some rare and valuable meteal or element that is worth millions of dollars per gram!

Mike

Hey Mike,

I just saw this pic now. That looks like dinoflagellates (If I spelled it correctly). When we got them in our salt water fishtanks they usually killed everything in the tank - fish, coral, you name it. I think they are caused by excessive phosphates. Or at least that was the common believe of the salt water fish tank forum I'm a member of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinoflagellate

Finally, some wheat has sprouted. More than two weeks late, but it is up nevertheless. I'm hoping a soil fertility test will give me some idea of what is wrong with the ground.

Mike

If you have problem with soil & there is no way out I recommend you to make raise bad put the plastic inside so that keep weeds out & keep the heat at that same time than fill with soil ,cow manure ,chicken or rabbit manure mix it with pich fork & experiment with any kind plant just few if works you than fine so that way you don't need to rotary tilled because soil will be pefect mix with nutrients.

Back