• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DF 2018 Grow log

Started setting up some seeds yesterday.
Used rock wool and decided to experiment and use my fish tank to start them. The two reaper seeds I just placed on the Java Fern.
More seeds later today.

By the way, the "Thor" seeds, their from the seed train and I dont recall any other info on them, looking on the web they are described as such. If their is another type then please update me, thanks!
oSaVVJC.jpg
fFH47VJ.jpg
LvzOHxE.jpg

It's been a while, but I believe I worked off a 1 tbsp / quart ratio, mixing it into a spray bottle.  What I've always done is rinse the aphids off the plant AMAP first with the hose or in the shower with the shower head - or with small plants I've inverted them and dunked them into 5g buckets and agitated them to get the bulk off.   Then I grab the soap spray and focus on spraying into the nooks and crannies of the areas the small leaf bunches are growing and up under the leaves from below.  Then I wait a while - say 15 - 30 - and rinse off.   Usually I do it again +/- a week later to get stragglers and eggs that may have hatched. It's crazy the aphid soup you get when you rinse those things off a plant.

Man, sorry you're dealing with them.  Your grows are always really cool, peppers and other stuff.

CD

Thanks!
I use at least a tsp so maybe up it a bit, I dont wash it off. Going to give him a shower, the "Long Red Slim Cayenne" and see if I can save him for next year :)

Neil! I don't know whether to salivate or gag looking at that pic
on the top of the page.  Those are beautiful pods on the worst
aphid colony I've ever seen! Where are there ladybird beetles
when you need them  :rofl:

Safer Insecticidal Soap followed a day or two later with Neem
has always worked very well for me, especially if caught early.
My main line of defense is my thumb and forefinger!

I finally had time to get to a few grow logs - interesting season
for you, buddy, aphids and all! Hope to see you in 2019!

I have found that the pure Neem oil works very well.  
I ordered an 8 ounce bottle six years ago, and still
have half of it left. I keep it on top of a grow light,
and it stays nice and warm and liquid rather than
syrupy and thick. One teaspoon per quart of warm
water and 1/4 teaspoon of dish soap for a wetting
agent. With vigilant early detection, the quart lasts
me all season with 30-50 plants.

I am really surprised the Safer Insecticidal 
Soap didn't do the trick. That stuff is money in my
garden.

Yup, guess I got supper Aphids.

Washed my Cayenne so he looks better, Love my Hot Portugal, want to save him too.
Guess I should pick them, look so bad without the peppers :)

rJAmQMX.jpg

Tr8oPsf.jpg

Neil, you know what to do!

Harvest the pods, prep the plants for overwintering by removing from soil,
pruning, cleaning/trimming roots, put in sterile medium, water well, leave
indoors for the winter and you will have great plants next season! 

Your mad skills will bring those back like gangbusters!

Everything I bring inside gets uprooted, roots rinsed clean then the entire plant gets submerged in plain water for about an hour. The bugs have a higher salinity than the water so they absorb the water until they burst...death by osmosis. If the osmosis doesn't kill them the lack of oxygen does. I then trim roots, leaves and stems and repot in fresh soil. I add mycos if I have some. I have had really good luck doing this for the past 5 years or so. I also NEVER get any overwinter or house plants anywhere near my germination and seedling areas. Hope you get them knocked down...sometimes it's best to just start some new seeds for next year.

Back