• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Different Fatalii Pod Shapes On Same Branch

I have seen big differences in pod shapes on the same plant and wondered if anyone had a good explanation. Here is a good example on this Fatalii plant. Feel free to share examples you also have.

Screenshot2011-11-21at53306PM.png

I was going to say I get different shaped pods but nothing like that, early in the year mine produces curly short pods then fatten out on the second run.

If you're just seeing one or two pods that are highly different, it could just be a mutation or malformation - no different from some people being born with cleft pallates while most are not. I think most of us have seen "warped" pods on various plants. If you're seeing more, though, it could be an interesting cross.

If you're just seeing one or two pods that are highly different, it could just be a mutation or malformation - no different from some people being born with cleft pallates while most are not. I think most of us have seen "warped" pods on various plants. If you're seeing more, though, it could be an interesting cross.

There are similar green ones with big stingers (like the one on the right) on this plant. The small one to the right ripened a few weeks before the normal Fatalii to the left.

this relates to the current discussion, but I don't have pics.

Yesterday I was working with 10 pounds of regular, orange, bought-through-the-produce-company (California grown) orange habaneros.

At least 20% of the orange habs had the indented bottom and sharp stinger Scorpion look. If it had been one or two pods out of 10 pounds works, I'd not think about it, but to have 20-25% of the pods have the indent and sharp curled stinger.

I'm interested to hear comments.

Scovie's [Almighty] theory....
Every flower gets pollinated= every flower that gets pollinated produces fruit.
Answer= Cross pollination.

(shoot me down, I have a parachute) LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

Good thing you weren't here on a Sat. Richard, :beer: I'd have been feeding you one of my Sunday breakfasts... (legendary)

I have seen big differences in pod shapes on the same plant and wondered if anyone had a good explanation. Here is a good example on this Fatalii plant. Feel free to share examples you also have.

Screenshot2011-11-21at53306PM.png
Is it possible that your plant didn't drop the corolla of the flower (the flower petals as a unit) after it set to fruit? My Fatalii plant produces fruit constricted by the corolla. I haven't seen a pod constricted enough to produce that sort of tail though.

this relates to the current discussion, but I don't have pics.

Yesterday I was working with 10 pounds of regular, orange, bought-through-the-produce-company (California grown) orange habaneros.

At least 20% of the orange habs had the indented bottom and sharp stinger Scorpion look. If it had been one or two pods out of 10 pounds works, I'd not think about it, but to have 20-25% of the pods have the indent and sharp curled stinger.

I'm interested to hear comments.
The Just purchased some habaneros or did I? thread is on the topic of orange Habaneros with stingers.

Scovie's [Almighty] theory....Every flower gets pollinated= every flower that gets pollinated produces fruit.Answer= Cross pollination.(shoot me down, I have a parachute) LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!Good thing you weren't here on a Sat. Richard, :beer: I'd have been feeding you one of my Sunday breakfasts... (legendary)

I believe cross polination does not affect the pods, just the seeds for next gen.

I have a cross that has 3 pod shapes on it, scorp, hab and long pods. I think its just an unstable cross but its my best grower so I dont care haha.

That's one cool picture. I've never seen anything like it. Are your plants STILL alive now that your back from your trip?! You should overwinter that guy, see if next year it's consistently putting out the combo shape pods. Hope your trip was fun dude!

That's one cool picture. I've never seen anything like it. Are your plants STILL alive now that your back from your trip?! You should overwinter that guy, see if next year it's consistently putting out the combo shape pods. Hope your trip was fun dude!

I think you should overwinter it, plus grow the seeds out from the different one and see what you get.

I've had different shaped fatalii pods, especially late in the season. If it was truly a cross, all the pods would still loook similar and probably none would look like a typical fataliis and if it was a cross, it would likely have to have been crossed with another yellow podded plant for it still to be yellow without dominant traits taking over in the f1 stage. You could save seeds from the stinger pod but its extremely doubtful that future generations will be anything different than a fatalii in my opinion

Potawie's strange looking late pods from a regular fatalii plant

764747060d947a292abnz0.jpg

Pepper reproduction
8507432874bc3c82387io0.jpg

may i offer a possible explanation? based upon an unexpected tomato result this was a discussion about what may have happened. i'll post the comments i think are relevant and then the link to the entire thread if you want to follow what it was about. the author is carolyn male who has extensive experience in growing tomatoes.

So what might be going on? One suggestion is a somatic mutation. A plant of Green Gage, which has yellow fruits, had one branch that had all red fruits of the same shape. That's the result of a somatic mutation. The variety Yellow Riesentraube arose b'c one fruit on a plant with all red fruits was yellow. That's a somatic mutation. My plant of Dix Doight de Naples had one branch that all red fruit, same color as expected, but the fruit shape was totally different. That's a somatic mutation.

If this was a somatic mutation that mutation would have had to occur early in the growth of the plant such that all fruits were yellow.

Somatic mutation are rare, I've seen only two in my tomato patch ever, and while it's possible, I've never read about a somatic mutation that affected ALL fruits on a plant although it's theoretically possible.

I'd suggest saving seed from several of the yellow fruits and growing out some plants next your season and/or making available to those who wanted those seeds to grow for our next season.

if it's a somatic mutation, they are permanent and heritable so all plants should give yellow fruits from those saved seeds, unless there's been any X pollination going on this growing season for you.

tomatoville thread

yeahh man, as Potawie said save seeds and grow it in the future...
select this cool stinger trait :hell:

i am talking to you as well Potawie - the right stingy one in the second pic looks very promising

I didn't really say that did I.
I tried many times in the past to grow seeds from untypical pods but they always turn out to be normal. Its more environmental factors that determine the pod shape, as well as corolla constriction as previously mentioned(which may also have to do with environmental conditions like humidity)

Flower ring constriction example

June 18 002 by potawie, on Flickr

Back