• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Do I need to change solution in a DWC system?

Hello,

I would like to know if I need to change the solution in my 5 gallon dwc system?
I currently have a 5 gallon set-up similar to the one below and would like some advice.
photo-19.jpg

Yup, you need to. Generally you change it every 7-10 days or top it up till 14 days or so but check your pH and ppm to tell you when you need to change it out completely.

Thanks millworkman. I currently don't have a ph meter or anything to check the ppm. Would you be able to suggest any good ones to get?

Thanks millworkman. I currently don't have a ph meter or anything to check the ppm. Would you be able to suggest any good ones to get?

I dont use one. I dont care to get the biggest/fastest growing plants so I just change out the solution every 10-14 days. Take what comes out and dilute 1-3 and use in the garden. No waste and no checking pH and PPM...

Thanks for the info guys! I think I will opt out of the meters and just change the solution every 7 days, that seems about right to me. I'll let you guys know how it's working out.

Now don't blame me if it all goes wrong :) I have very hard water here, well very nutrient rich. We have tons of calcium, copper and other elements in our water that make it so that I do not need to use a micro fert but they also act as a pH buffer. I would do a test first before throwing a plant in there just to see if it can workout for you.

If you are going to grow in hydro, you need to know Ph and ppm.

Get meters or your next posts will be about bad Ph and wrong PPM.

If you are going to grow in hydro, you need to know Ph and ppm.

Get meters or your next posts will be about bad Ph and wrong PPM.

This. I bought a ppm meter but did not get a PH meter until later. When I finally adjusted the PH the plants went crazy. They were not looking so good before the PH. I adjusted it then had to adjust it a couple more times. Now I just adjust it when I add water or nutrients.

Hey, I ended up getting one of those meters that has the pH and temp feature but was wondering if i need to change my solution every 7-10 days or only change it when the pH levels are too low?
Can anyone help me out with this?

Yeah. The nutrients will become depleted after some time, and need to be replaced. You can top off with more nutrient mixture, but then you run the risk of screwing with the ratios of NPK.

Ok thanks man!
Because I really thought once the pH levels are fine, then there should be no need to change out the solution, guess I was wrong!
Thanks again!

Really if you can just borrow a meter from someone and figure out how much to adjust your ph to get about 5.6 to 6.0 then you probably could just change it out about every 10 days and follow the same formula each time.
Yours could be drastically different but here the ph of the tap hasn't changed much in years. Nowadays I just add the same amount of ph down and nutes every time and just check it when I go to bloom cycle and lower the nitrogen and up the others...

I don't change the water at all in mine and my plants are growing fine. I have nine 5 gallon buckets and it would be too much trouble and $$ to change every week. And if I really had to change it every week or two,I really don't see how it would be worth doing with that many buckets. My water never gets nasty though. I also stopped the recirculating system i had going for a month,changed to single buckets,and used the water from that system to put back into the single buckets. I do check ppm about once a week,and ph about once evert 2 weeks. My ph was around 7.5 for about the first 2 weeks and lowered it to 6.5 a couple times,and it just shot right back up to 7.5 the next day. So I just left it alone and my plants are doing great. The ph is now at around 6.5(after a month) naturally.

This is not giving you advice really,but just my example to help make a choice (because I don't have a lot of experience). So if my plants are growing green and the water smells/looks good then why fix what's working?

So if my plants are growing green and the water smells/looks good then why fix what's working?

This is some good advice!
I check my temps and pH everyday! Sometime 5 - 6 times a day!
I guess I'm a little overly anxious and I do alot of reading to see what other people are doing.
I hear what you're saying about changing the nutrient solution though.

The pepper plant I had at the time when this thread started is now dead though and I have tried going with something of a shorter grow period.
I currently have 1 lettuce plant in my 5 gallon bucket and I'm trying to keep the temps between 65-75 degrees F and my pH between 5.8-6.8.

I have noticed some browning roots but others are coming up and they're pretty white so I'm not too concerned about it.
Only if it continues like that then I'd get concerned.

Really if you can just borrow a meter from someone and figure out how much to adjust your ph to get about 5.6 to 6.0 then you probably could just change it out about every 10 days and follow the same formula each time.
Yours could be drastically different but here the ph of the tap hasn't changed much in years. Nowadays I just add the same amount of ph down and nutes every time and just check it when I go to bloom cycle and lower the nitrogen and up the others...

Hey scrufy, should the pH be different for different plants?
I'm using the FloraDuo nutes and they suggested a pH of 5.8-6.8 then I'm reading that other guys are having a pH of 7 and they are working out fine.

Back