• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Drastic Cutback Overwintering...

Well I have an update. Not much of one but I figured I would share none the less. It has been about a month and 3 of the plants (2 orange habs and 1 red hab) are showing signs of new very tiny growth. This new growth is pale and I expect it to die quickly due to the lack of light. The yellow scotch bonnet has not showed the same signs but this is probably because when I pulled it out of the ground I split it in half. The ends of the cut branches on all 4 plants have shown expected signs dying back;however, the rest of the stumps remain green. Hopefully tomorrow I will snap some shots and get them up on here. So far things are looking good. Only 5 more months or so to go haha.

My 4 cutbacks are under mild lights in the basement. All are bursting with new little buds that will become leaves. (all vegetation and most of the stems were removed)

On a slightly unrelated note, they are now within view of the 18 varieties I am trying to germinate on top of the hot water heater!

My basement overwinter spot

They get a fair amount of light here. These pics were taken this morning - it was mid 20'sF outside.

One of two Chocolate Habs - pods still ripening.

My 3 "Bullet Habs" - 2 White and a Gold on the right.

I'll wait for everything to ripen up and cut them back in January. Hope for the best after that!

bigt said:
They get a fair amount of light here. These pics were taken this morning - it was mid 20'sF outside.

Yea it looks like a good spot. I keep forgetting they are doing away with underground basements because of radon issues. Mine are pretty much in the dark. They get some fluorescent light when I am down there getting something or doing my laundry as well as a tiny bit from the small windows. Yours will have a much better chance than mine that is for sure.

Christmas Harvest

I still have a few plants that aren't cut back yet and are continuing give some ripe pods. The Manzano red and Chocolate Hab especially. They aren't making anything new, but what's on them when they were brought in is getting ripe. Here's a photo of what got picked yesterday on Christmas morning.

3136083358_2687ef1d40_b.jpg

Some Chocolate Habs, a giant Manzano Red (90% ripe - a touch of green), 4 Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnets (all pretty small - the last of about 150 pods that plant put out in 2008 - it's 2nd year and going for 3), 3 White Bullet Habs, 1 Hawaii Sweet Hot (far right in middle) and 10 Japones. I had two Japones plants this year and they made a ton of pods - I'll be grinding most of them up for powder soon - just caught a coffee grinder on sale for $6.99 that was nicer than the old one I had for coffee. :) One Japones plant is enough for next year. So far everything looks healthy down in the basement, I've been clearing away the fallen leaves and cutting everything back gradually. My two Manzanos still have about 30 or so pods ripening. Further update in January.

Josh said:
Nice Christmas present you got there Tony.

Yah Josh, good stuff. Those Chocolate Habs are so hot, they crush me every time. I probably have no prayer with these 7 Pots, Bhut Jolokias, Dorset Nagas that I have coming next year. Small slices will be the order of the day. Just looking a Cappy's pictures of the 7 Pot scare me.

bigt said:
Yah Josh, good stuff. Those Chocolate Habs are so hot, they crush me every time. I probably have no prayer with these 7 Pots, Bhut Jolokias, Dorset Nagas that I have coming next year. Small slices will be the order of the day. Just looking a Cappy's pictures of the 7 Pot scare me.

Well, I haven't tried Bhuts yet but the 7 pod and Dorset Naga are vicious.

Dont let them scare ya they are just lil joys of heat. And after the lil heat comes out then the explosion happens LIKE WOOW that sucker is HOT.

Now for my wintering peppers I cut three back and placed them in my cellar with no lights just keeping the soil moist so far the temp have not dropped below 45 so I am hoping they survive this harsh winter time If this doesn't work then I will try something different next year. But right now nothing but darkness and moist soil I did fert before I cuthem back and now its a waiting game till I get my well house going and sprout this next year crops

I've got about 14 plants upstairs. They get no direct light at all and very little ambient light. One week a month I water them from the top, very slowly, so the water seeps into the dirt instead of running out the holes in the bottom. This week (and in the future one week a month) I watered from the bottom, letting them sit in about four inches of water for five minutes or so.

Most of the plants have a tiny bit of vegetative growth, which I pluck off. Hopefully, I eradicated the aphids - at least no sign of them on any plants. Used soapy water with some OTC bug killer, then sprinkled the plants and dirt with garlic powder.

I figure that come March, I'll let the sprouts and leaves keep growing, then in the second watering, add some ferts. By April, bring them out where they get ambient light all day long and by the first of May, have them in a coldframe/greenhouse.

I'm sure I'll never get AJ numbers but if I can get pods by July instead of late September, I might get a decent harvest.

Mike

Now that the daylight hours are increaing, I got impatient and have started exposing some of my overwintered plants to more light. My third year Guadaloupe "hab" and my 4th year tepin look like they may become real monsters.

I had to top my 7 pot.

It grew up into the light. I don't want them to get huge inside, I need the space for my seedlings!

I also started seedlings earlier this year.

My Black Hungarian is almost as big as the overwintered 7 pot!

Well, I said, with all the new plants I am going to try this year, whatever lives thru the winter after cutback will grow and the other ones will be discarded....

I am particularly interested in the 5 Seven Pot plants on the west side of my house. They all have grown roots thru the bottoms of the containers and were massive plants this year. I cut them all back to nubs and just left them where they are...matter of fact, all of my plants were cut back and left where they are...only the strongest survive....

I really think, and I may be extremely wrong, but if the roots don't freeze, you will get new growth in the spring...we don't get that many days below freezing here and very rarely ever is it that it stays below freezing for more than 24 hours...

here is a pic of all 5 plants

7PotExtremecutback01January2009002-.jpg

and a close up of the largest/thickest stalked one

7PotExtremecutback01January2009002.jpg

oh Yeah, those are 5 gallon containers

I've found that you need more than just the roots to stay frost free, you need at least a small part of the stalk for new shoots to start from. Sometimes the soil will insulate some of the underground stalk and shoots will start from there but new stalks will likely not form from only roots. Usually you can cut the stalk on an overwintered plant to see if there is still life in it. If its crispy and dead, keep cut down further until you hit some green "wood".

Here's a fatalii I recently brought out of semi-dormancy. You can see new growth even below where the roots were. The bottom shoot is actually growing right into the root.

3155427229_ec5453ef91.jpg

that's exactly what I was hoping Potawie...I can cut it back even further and even below soil level this coming spring and hopefully get new growth...if not, so long, sayanora, farewell to those beloved plants of 2008...

I've grown a little impatient also and brought my trial overwintering projects into the warmth. I have two Dorset Nagas that were overwintering in a closet that stayed fairly cool so far. I've since placed them in a warm room in a sunny location. I did what Potawie stated about cutting back until I found some green wood. I've begun watering when the soil is dry and even added a small quantity (half-strength) of cactus fert (2-7-7) every other week. Should this be enough? How long, on average, before I start seeing any growth?

Back