• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

food-safety Easiest way you sanitize Woozies before making sauce?

Tonight watching Momday night football I will attempt my first batch of hot sauce. I'm just using a recipe posted on this forum but I will take pics if people want to see it.

I'm using 10oz Woozies that have the plastic cap and I also bought the plastic plugs to slow the pour down.

What's the best effective way to sterilize the bottles, plugs, and caps? Do you separate them all or keep them all on the bottle?

Also to measure the sauce temperature would a meat stick thermoter be ok or do I need to buy a different type of thermoter? If I do what's it called and would I be able to find one at the grocery store or a special kitchen store?

Thanks

The caps and dropper tops will get sanitized when you hot fill/invert the sauce.

Bottles-
  • dunk in boiling water
  • rinse with a bleach solution 1 tsp bleach: 1 gal cool or cold water
  • rinse in fresh water and put in 250F oven for 20 minutes (you can do this ahead of time, then just turn the oven off and let them cool down in the oven)

If you get your sauce up to boiling, then you know it's hot enough. After it's simmering and ready to bottle, put your sauce pot in a larger pot and use a double boiler set up to keep the sauce hot while you are bottling.

If you haven't already done so, check out Making Hot Sauce 101

Have Fun, post pics~

yes, no-rinse sanitizers are approved, just follow mfr directions.

re: oven- I should clarify- the idea is to get the glass over 212F for 2 minutes. If the bottles are laid out single layered on a cookie sheet, then 20 min/250F should be enough. If they are stacked up 3-4 deep, like in a large roasting pan, then you may need to go longer, until the middle bottles are up to temp.

The glass does not need to be hot when filling with sauce, which is why I said you can do the oven step ahead of time, then just turn off the oven.

Back