• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Eephus Man's 2012 March to Hell and Back (Grow Log)

Okay, I'm going to *actually* try and update things this year. My first flats will start tomorrow (chinenses and a few other long-seasons), and the rest, minus a few herbs/tomatoes, will go in later this week or early next. I'm going to try and be better about keeping records this year, too. We'll see how it goes with my limited time, but I'm hopeful.

So...without further blab, here's a tease of a few batches of seeds soaking in a seaweed/superthrive solution over night.

My current grow list looks like this:

Peppers (Hot)

7-Pot White (OP)
Aji Angelo
Aji Omnicolor
BAC593605
Bahamian Finger (Direct Sourced!)
Barro do Robiero
Billy Biker Jalapeno
Bonda ma Jacques
Broome
CA438633
Cheiro do Norte
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Habanero (OP)
Criolla Sella
Congo Trinidad
Datil
Fatalii
Fish
Goat's Weed
Guampinho de Veado
Habanero de Arbol
Hinkelhatz
Hot Portugal (OP)
Mustard Habanero
Naga Jolokia
NuMex Jalmundo
Peach Scorpanero
Peppadew
Pilange (OP)
Rooster Spur (seedlings destroyed)
Santa Fe Grande
Thai Hot
Uyababa
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Zimbabwe Bird

Peppers (Sweet or Very Mild Heat)

Ashe County Pimiento (0% germination)
Buran
Canary Bell (Two germinated, gave both away)
Cubanelle
Dulce di Minvervino
Hungarian Wax
Jimmy Nardello's
Kaleidoscope
Kalocsa
Kurtovska Kapiya 1619
Miniature Red Bell
Piment D'espelette (0% germination)
Pimiento L
Piquillo
R Naky
Shishito
Sweet Banana
Sweet Chocolate (lost seed, did not plant)
Sweet Pickle

I'm trying out small batches of varietals that are new to me, and larger for those that are known favs for me. Most of these will end up in pots or small raised beds. My title is in reference to the well-known summer conditions in Texas this year, where we were spared little in the way of either rainfall (none between late April and early October) or temperatures (over 100F for 90 days, including two, back-to-back 25+ day runs over 100F). This is also a test to see which varieties produce before the heat set, during the summer, and which begin to produce again the most quickly in the fall.

We'll see how it goes and I'm happy to have you on board for advice, tips, questions and observations!

Special thanks this year to Buck77, Kappy, menotume, hot stuff, and Spicegeist for help with wanted seeds and unrequested generosity!

Yay very excited to see your updates Eephus! :D You have a fantastic list of peppers to grow, I'm sending good vibes your way!

Thanks, Kappy! I hope we get a mild summer, like 2009, this year. If so, I'll be up to my eyeballs in peppers. :fingerscrossed:

The Shishito is a nice mild pepper, nearly no hear but a good flavor. I had one that was 2 years old but when we got an unexpected overnight frost it died :'( They grow to about 2 1/2" long. From what I have been told they are used alot in Japanese cuisine, usually fried whole and served as appatizers.

Nice grow list and here's to a happy and prosperous grow season without mother nature getting an attitude like last season.

hi i seen shishito on your list and wondering have you grown those before?

Thanks to all for the well wishes! And I did have one shishito plant last year. They produce prolifically, and as Matt says, they are used green in tempura, traditionally. But lately, they've seen a surge in use in fine dining for purees and sauces as well. Very little heat, also as Matt says, but a unique green flavor.

My first two varieties "popped" today. I have hooks from Goat's Weed and Datil. Four days. Not bad. I've been lazy getting my lights up. I better hop on it tonight or tomorrow AM!

Okay, a quick glance at the "landscape" in flat #1 so far. Amazing germ dates and rates for Goat's Weed, Yellow Bhut, Uyababa, and Datil. Good for Chiero do Norte, Peppadew, White 7-Pot, Chocolate Bhut, and Criolla Sella. Still waiting for a few to hook, though. I just got the lights up properly today and started a fan for two hours per day (is that enough for some thicker stems?). They look leggier in the pics than they seem to be in person, but I think they should thicken out a touch as time wears on. Hopefully. Flat #2 just got the heat mat treatment (only one this year after my double-wide last year was thrown away). Flat #3 is soaking tonight. Only one after that.

I've also added the following varieties:

Pimiento L
Cubanelle
Serrano
Naga Jolokia
Hungarian Wax
Guampinho de Veado (Thanks, windchicken!)
Rooster Spur
Habanero de Arbol
Congo Trinidad
Aji Angelo
BAC593605
and a random assortment of Beth's random assortment from Peppermania.com

Looking great Eephus! :) Glad to see a bunch of them have germinated already. I would say 2 hours of the fan is good for now and just up the time its on as they grow older. Looking forward to the next update, I hope you had a good holiday!

Thats a nice list, good luck...

Thanks, SS! I like my varieties. And I usually only plant 2-8 of each. Inevitably, attrition reduces the varieties by the time plant out occurs.

I'm trying to log everything better this year. So far I have the following categories:

Common Name
Source
Harvest Days (if available)
# of Cells Planted
Plant Date
Germ Date
Germ %
Pot Up Date
Plant Out Date
% Survival
Flower Date
Fruit Set Date
Ripe Fruit Date

Anything else y'all can think of that would be helpful to folks here, or to me in future years of growing?

Chocolate Habs, Barro do Robiero, Peach Scorpaneros, Broome, Buran, Fatalii (1!), Kurtovska Kapiya, Mini Red Bells, Pilange, Aji Omni, CA438633, Kaleidoscope, Kalocsa, Piquillo, R. Naky, Jalmundo (100% in 2 days!) are all up now.

I am amazed at the germination rates on the NMSU varieties. The Trade Winds stuff is right behind. Wonder if it's the lack of humidity that helps store seed better in those places, or if those companies have controlled storage (beyond simple HVAC)?

Great looking variety and set up. CPI seeds are a great source and they have great germintaion. Can't wait to follow you grow.

Jamie

Great looking variety and set up. CPI seeds are a great source and they have great germintaion. Can't wait to follow you grow.

Jamie

Thanks, Jamie. I am learning more this year about more specific information, including germination rates. I must say, in the interest of full disclosure, that unless my third flat proves otherwise, Seed Savers Exchange (despite the good work I think they do) has had extremely poor germination times and rates for me. Not sure why that would be, but I'm more impressed than ever with Trade Winds, and have a new-found appreciation for CPI/NMSU.

Going to be a fun season for you.

I hope so, Brian! Thanks for checking in here. So far I've had at least some germination on everything except the Piment D'Espelette and the Ashe County Pimiento. The latter was really old seed, so I'm not surprised.

My Goat's Weed seedlings are taking off! I haven't bought materials to pot up yet, so I'm hoping they slow down a little!

I have to get my lights amped up here and seeds in soil this weekend coming up. THEN I have to start my season log. lol I have heard others having issues with the Pimento D'Espelette

I have to get my lights amped up here and seeds in soil this weekend coming up. THEN I have to start my season log. lol I have heard others having issues with the Pimento D'Espelette

Interesting. Maybe that VOC qualification makes the peppers aware of their non-French locales and stalls/stops germination. ;)

Back