Effin Squirrels....needs some advice

Those wild rabbits?

Elmer+Fudd+Elmer_Fudd_A_Wild_Hare.jpg

ZOMG.... dont even get me started on the rabbits.... they damn near wiped out my enire garden spring 2012.................................... :evil:

A friend has an Avacado tree tha the squirels love taking 1 bite then droping the avacado to the ground.
I gave him some dried Manzano pods to soak in water overnight in his pump sprayer.
He sprayed only a few avacados to see if it made any difference.
They don't like the spray at all.
They start to bite into the avacado and stop when the heat sets in.

I sprayed the bird seed in the feeder once too.
It was funny as hell.
Squirels filled their cheeks with seeds before the heat set in.
Then they couldn't spit out the seeds fast enough...

The MAJOR PROBLEM with pepper sprays is you get it too when you work in the garden.
Gloves are a must when picking stuff that is covered with pepper spray.
If you don't need gloves,you didn't spray good enough.

I had them getting in my the chicken pen and eating all my my mash. Set up a blind and some bait and was getting ten a day all through the month of May. Then they got smart and seemed  to know every time I stepped out side or cocked my gun. A friend recommended to hang some long strips of foil on some nylon thread around the areas I did not want them. I cut some two inch wide four foot lengths of foil suspended them by thread and no more squirrels in my mash. Took awhile for the chickens to get over it but it worked. Even with the slightest breeze that foil jumps and dances like its alive. 

Gotrox said:
"Rubbin their nuts with chili mash"

But----don't you have to catch them first???

Seems a bit harsh to me. :fireball:
Yea good point, but for those who've suffered squirrels long enough, bad thoughts will cross your mind, lol.

I still like the alpha male bully squirrel idea :rofl:

Paint balls filled with pepper tea/spray might get their attention.
Shoot the Squirel and it'll cover him with pepper spray,All over,including their balls.
Probably knock them over too...
A syringe for injecting meat would suck out the juice in a paint ball so you could fill it with pepper tea.
If you made the stuff strong enough it probably would screw the squirel up for a while-coating it's fur etc.
Might teach it to go next door and stay away from your grow.

SL3 said:
Then they got smart and seemed  to know every time I stepped out side or cocked my gun. 
I know the feeling. They don't even let birds on my feeders if I leave them be. so I honk an air horn at em. Once they stop fearing that the 12 gauge comes out. Yet some still hit the feeders and seem to be able to hear me cocking through the damn window glass. Even if they don't hear it, they just disappear when I open the window.

smokemaster said:
I sprayed the bird seed in the feeder once too.
It was funny as hell.
Squirels filled their cheeks with seeds before the heat set in.
Then they couldn't spit out the seeds fast enough...
Now this seems like a brilliant and hilarious idea. Mental note made.

I have a feeder in the front yard and put rat traps/glue traps around my beds. I think I might start screwing the rat traps down. They keep running off with them.

I have something that takes a bite of low tomatoes and the leaves it alone. I suspect either squirrels or chipmunks. The last couple years I just wrap the lower tomates that are ripening with foil since cayenne pepper didn't work.

I put a dozen or so rat traps set with little pieces of dried pepperoni. Got about 10 rats over a month or so and lost at least 3 traps that disappeared when whatever tripped it ran off still stuck to it.

My plants are now left completely alone. Finally...

Back