• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermentation Problems: The yeast won't stay gone.

So, I've started my second batch of ferments for a hot-sauce.

Ingredients by weight below:
Habaneros - 388.4g
Garlic  - 171.5g
Thai Chili - 375.3g
Red Chilis - 690.1g
(Total Non-salt-weight: 1625.3g)
I went by the Hunter Angler Garden Cook Recipe and added just over 2% salt by weight: (I also have blood pressure issues, so minimal salt is preferred).

40g salt
2 Cups Water

All of the above blended (took a bit of doing with my blender).

Put into jars (all parts boiled for >5 minutes).
All jars are at room temperature, which varies from 69-75 degrees. (Charleston in summer, I'm pretty sure maintaining a temp of just 69 all day would be more expensive than, say, buying a mini-fridge for the ferment).

They started needing burping by day 2 (wild fermentation), and were just about done burping after the first week, then added some Jack Daniel's Smoking Chips to try to get some of that smokey, oakey-flavor.

That's when the problems started. I noticed a bit of white fuzzy yeast early on, before the chips. At least one of the jars had a light film layer as well, and the others were showing signs before I added the chips.

Now, every few days I have to spoon off the top layer to get rid of the mold. As far as I know it's not harmful, but it will affect the flavor. To mitigate losing any of the mash, I did cover each jar with 1/2 inch of a salt-brine, making it easier to get rid of the yeast.

I have this split into 5 jars with the intent to do 3 month ferment, 6 month, 9 month, 1 year, 2 year.

My request is this: How the heck do I stop the yeast? I believe I saw somewhere on this site that adding some ascorbic acid might work? My first batches did not have this issue.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Your problem isnt the salt. Its the oxygen available to the mash and yeast. A mash can be pasteurized before going into the fermenter. You just need to add a live lacto culture to it after its cooled. Anything over about 140F will kill pretty much any live yeast so you dont need a lot of heat.

I use a fermenter with a inner lid so very little oxygen touches the mash. Some brine does get above the lid but a small spray of vinegar puts a end to any yeast that manages to grow. A lactic acid solution also works. You can buy food grade 80%+ lactic acid at brew shops. Mix it to the desired acidity with some bottled water. Spray the top with a little of the solution or vinegar.
Would a tablespoon or two of non yeast infected brine work to Kickstart it again after heating?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

In the end, the kahm yeast was too prevalent. I'm letting my sauces pickle a little bit before I decide to throw them out. The flavor is effectively ruined as far as I can tell.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Your problem isnt the salt. Its the oxygen available to the mash and yeast. A mash can be pasteurized before going into the fermenter. You just need to add a live lacto culture to it after its cooled. Anything over about 140F will kill pretty much any live yeast so you dont need a lot of heat.

I use a fermenter with a inner lid so very little oxygen touches the mash. Some brine does get above the lid but a small spray of vinegar puts a end to any yeast that manages to grow. A lactic acid solution also works. You can buy food grade 80%+ lactic acid at brew shops. Mix it to the desired acidity with some bottled water. Spray the top with a little of the solution or vinegar.
My first ferment was ruined by yeast so on my latest batch I followed this advice and heated my ingredients on the stove prior to placing into a sterilized jar. Only thing I may have screwed up on is the directions werent clear for my powdered starter so I just added it to the brine mixture. Thinking I should of added it directly to jar after contents cooled off. Heat may have killed my starter. Ill check on it when I get home tonight. Might have to sprinkle a little more in. Hate to open it though. Guess thats what the vacuum pumps for though

Back