• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermenting Cayennes

I have about 25 cayennes and a quart sized mason.
Want to ferment them for sauce, but I've never done it.
I'd like an idiot proof method, preferably using the yogurt whey starter method.
Any ideas? I also have other peppers if 25 cayennes isn't enough.

When I ferment I do it in a gallon size jar using about 3 pounds of pepper along with some other stuff. If you look for the Haba-Peno sauce thread I made you'll see in more detail but here's the Cliff Nktes version.

Fill fermentation jar and lid with water and 1 Tbs beach to sanitize. Let sit about 10 minutes.

Remove stems from peppers and run through a food processor till fins chop. To peppers add:

2 lg carrots
1 med sweet onion
3 large cloves fo garlic

All at a find dice. Take. Tub of plain yogurt and let it come to room temperature.
Drain off the liquid off of the yogurt. If you have less than say 2 Tbs place in a wire sive and let some more drain off.

Drain and dense very well your fermentation jar very well. Add all the finely chopped up veggies. 2 tsp kosher salt, the whey from the yogurt and top up with Luke warm wTer till veggies are just covered.

Put lid on tight enough to keep nasties out butloose enough to vent co2. I usually put it on snug then back off 1/4 turn then tighten back till it just stops.

Let it set for 30 to 90 days .

I use a 1/2 gallon canning jar with an airlock.
I use a glass tea candle holder for a weight and a SS souffle cup as a spacer below the airlock.
The jar is filled completely with brine (the SS spacer floats and provides air space below the airlock) so there's no room for nasty stuff to develop.
You can use yogurt whey as a starter.

It doesn't get any more foolproof than that.

~Diggin'

I have about 25 cayennes and a quart sized mason.
Want to ferment them for sauce, but I've never done it.
I'd like an idiot proof method, preferably using the yogurt whey starter method.
Any ideas? I also have other peppers if 25 cayennes isn't enough.

Greetings frydad4...
Here's the link to another thread (with pics) on harvesting whey, and includes a mash recipe using an airlock.
Good luck with your mash.
CM
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18762-fermented-habanero-manzano-mash/page__view__findpost__p__397530

Back