• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermenting separate ingredients, then combine post-ferment?

Hey y'all!

Just curious if anyone has fermented ingredients separately (peppers in one jar, onions/garlic in another, etc), then added them after their ferment to make the sauce? Would that work or would the flavor not work as intended in the end result?

Thanks!

First of all, I'm a noob at fermenting, but perhaps not a total noob at food/cooking (or life in general).  I would have to imagine, if you fermented everything together the flavors would bleed and you could pull just some peppers out and they could have some of the nice garlic and onion flavor to them.  But, what you're talking about..something where everything is going to ultimately be blended together anyways, I couldn't see why it would matter.  Maybe after you blended it, there'd be a period of time for it all to meld, but if it's easier for you to do it that way, what would it matter anyways?  Just my humble .02.

If you ferment just the peppers you will have a base mash for trying other recipes. I prefer to only ferment most produce i grow myself so i know how long its been setting around and i know that chemicals have been used. The only exception is cabbage because its just not convenient for me to grow my own. So to avoid other nasties that could get into my pepper ferments, i just ferment my peppers and add other stuff later. You can always add something like garlic later once PH has dropped enough and it goes in the fridge. The aging effect continues in the cold just like it does with kimchi.

Kramer said:
First of all, I'm a noob at fermenting, but perhaps not a total noob at food/cooking (or life in general).  I would have to imagine, if you fermented everything together the flavors would bleed and you could pull just some peppers out and they could have some of the nice garlic and onion flavor to them.  But, what you're talking about..something where everything is going to ultimately be blended together anyways, I couldn't see why it would matter.  Maybe after you blended it, there'd be a period of time for it all to meld, but if it's easier for you to do it that way, what would it matter anyways?  Just my humble .02.
Agreed, thanks!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
If you ferment just the peppers you will have a base mash for trying other recipes. I prefer to only ferment most produce i grow myself so i know how long its been setting around and i know that chemicals have been used. The only exception is cabbage because its just not convenient for me to grow my own. So to avoid other nasties that could get into my pepper ferments, i just ferment my peppers and add other stuff later. You can always add something like garlic later once PH has dropped enough and it goes in the fridge. The aging effect continues in the cold just like it does with kimchi.
Awesome, thanks!

My last bonnet ferment was just over 30days with 3.5% salt.
At the end of 30 days i ran just the pods and enough of the brine to chop it into a mash.
That all went into a smaller sealed jar with a tbs of vinegar on top and in the fridge for about 37days.

After all that i pasteurized and processed it into a sauce. Back into the fridge for at least a week so flavors had time to meld a little and then see if it needs anything else.

Back