• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Finally ate the naga

Been growing Naga Morich and making sauce for several years now, but up till now I have been too chicken to eat
a Naga Morich whole. It just looked BAD and the little pieces I have tried seemed more than enough.

Still, for all my growing efforts and sauce making, I always felt like a poser in the pepper world
as long as I didn't take this step, so two weeks ago I finally ate a whole naga. My brother joined me.

Honestly, it just wasn't all as horrific as I was expecting. It was hot as hell, absolutely, but just not
of the caliber I was expecting.

I've heard that stressed plants make hotter peppers, so I thought that perhaps I had just been too
nice to my plants, so I went on a 14 day program of making a plant very unhappy. The same plant that
the first peppers came from.
I deprived it of almost all light, giving it maybe 1 hour of light every 3 days, and very little water
and kept it just on the edge of dehydration the entire time.
The next round of peppers ripened much more quickly than usual and the plant began dropping a lot
of leaves. This let me know I was on the right track. This baby is stressed :)

Anyway, long story short, after two weeks of this treatment I harvested another bunch of pods.
These were a much darker red color than the previous pods. They looked meaner.

Well, let me tell you, what they say about stressing the plants is 100% true. We both ate a whole pepper
again today. They came from the same plant as the peppers from 2 weeks ago.
They were more than just a little hotter. They were more than just a lot hotter.
They were orders of magnitude hotter, and the pain was unlike anything I've ever done.

HOLY SHIT! That wasn't just hot. Not just super hot. It HURT. At one point it felt like a propane torch
was pointed at the back of my throat and my teeth were on fire.

Heres today's adventure. I'm the bald guy. the audio level is really low unfortunately.
to hear us you'll have to turn it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbm_u9B-be8

There's not a lot of things that can bring a big boy like you to speechless pain like a Naga eh? I bet you'd rather take an NFL punter style kick to the groin instead of dealing with the pain of one of those whole pods again! :rofl: Are those now 3 generation Nagas from my garden bro? They look like great and their obviously still holding their strength! Also, yes dogs aren't nearly as dumb as us, my dogs will eat everything in my garden but they stay several feet away from my super hots at all times :lol:

There's not a lot of things that can bring a big boy like you to speechless pain like a Naga eh? I bet you'd rather take an NFL punter style kick to the groin instead of dealing with the pain of one of those whole pods again! :rofl: Are those now 3 generation Nagas from my garden bro? They look like great and their obviously still holding their strength! Also, yes dogs aren't nearly as dumb as us, my dogs will eat everything in my garden but they stay several feet away from my super hots at all times :lol:

Hey man! Actually this years seeds came from the same peppers I got from you 3 years ago,
so is that considered first gen or second?
I still have a few left for next year too, before I have to start using seeds from peppers I grew.

Been trying to avoid any weakening of the strain for as long as possible.

Yeah as you can see, size is no defense against that type of attack. Of course my brother, all 150 pounds of him, cant be shut up by anything short of bricking his mouth shut ;)

Skyjerk said:
Hey man! Actually this years seeds came from the same peppers I got from you 3 years ago,
so is that considered first gen or second?
WOW, those old seeds are still viable eh? I think that's make them 2nd or 3rd gen, I'm not sure, it's simply awesome though and I can't blame you for using the same ones! I've given up on my Nagas after this year because they've obviously become cross bred with what appears to be scorpions and even carribean habs as some have the tails and their half the size they used to be. Oh well, that's what makes gardening interesting.

Yeah as you can see, size is no defense against that type of attack. Of course my brother, all 150 pounds of him, cant be shut up by anything short of bricking his mouth shut ;)
Bwhahhahahahaaa!! Good video though you guys are brave and now know what it's like to eat a truly mean Naga :hell: I wish I would've known you guys were doing some reviews as I would've stopped out to bring some Scoprions or 7pods as their a little meaner :) Next year!

Back