• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun First day in the sun!

Carolina Reaper - HP22B
Moruga Scorpion
7 Pot Brain Strain
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Naga Viper
Barrackpore
7 Pod Red (Giant)
Naga Morich
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Orange Habanero
1stsunpepper_zps7da0f8a3.jpg

Now the wait :( .  

I tried this last year, went sour fast.

Oct 20th: Plant out/hardenining off.

Oct 24th: Storm destroys everything.

What's your secret?

If they already in the ground but are still pretty small when a wind/rain storm comes up, it helps to have a few buckets handy to put over each plant. Make sure you got a big enough rock to hold the bucket in place. Obviously does no good for flooding but gives protection from big raindrops, hail, or wind.

miguelovic said:
I tried this last year, went sour fast.

Oct 20th: Plant out/hardenining off.

Oct 24th: Storm destroys everything.

What's your secret?

I germinated them indoors and have them under 8 24 watt 67K T5's (Aquarium Fixture) most of the time . Today is the 1st time I put them outside going to bring them back in here in a bit put back under the lights till they are strong enough to go in 5 gallon buckets. Just going to keep putting them in the sun for a couple of hours a day to acclimate them to the outdoors . Think I'm just going to bucket raise them I have way to much trouble with pest and such when I plant in-ground  and If  something comes up that I have to move them buckets are the way to go.

Hi Paul,

That sounds like a plan - watch out for the winds though because they dry things out fast (apart from the obvious damage it does !)

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I have them outside and check them morning and night. They are tucked in along side part of my house facing south. I also have some house bricks keeping them in place as we do get high winds here.

Shorerider said:
Is it ok to put them straight outside but in full shade, then increase the amount of sun they get each day?

Generally, yes.  I don't think sunburn is a risk, but the wind and drier air will may suck more water out of the plant.  Check that the soil doesn't get entirely dry. 

Same story for direct sun.  You aren't just toughening up the leaves and stem, the heat increases the plant's water needs significantly.

Back