• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First timer from seed. Solem's 2013 Grow

What's up everyone. I have been thinking about starting a Glog even though it is later in the season. So I figured, what the heck. This is my first year growing from seed so any tips, comments or concerns let me know! It will be much appreciated.

Peppers I'm growing:

Bhut Jolokia Red
Tobasco
Scotch Bonnet
Devil's Tongue
Trinidad Scorpion (bought at a farmer's market, did not start from seed)

I used MG starter soil to start the seeds. I built a grow box with two cfl's at daylight spectrum. 

Started Seed 1st of Feb.

Grow box with seedlings after hooking:
HqlXP3H.jpg

I moved them to solo cups after some root development:
AlVOYZC.jpg

Where I think I messed up is I did not harden them off properly. When I moved them outside, their growth halted for about a month.

This is how everything was the beginning of June:
Wsr1sv7.jpg
Two Bhuts, Two Tabasco and a Scotch Bonnet 
BkO2CdO.jpg
Two more Bhuts

And this is where I am at currently:
pp5uYBm.jpg
Left is SB Right is Bhut
HilEf6V.jpg
SB and a pitiful looking TS. It had brown spot leaf disease I think so I stripped all of the infected leaves off and gave it a new home.
jtclIUv.jpg
Two Bhuts, Three Tabasco and a SB
FE6IfVp.jpg
Devil's Tongue (this seams to be my healthiest looking plant in my opinion.
lvwY1Wk.jpg
SB (please excuse the weeds)

This winter I built two raised beds. 4X8. I tried to use as much organic matter as possible so was filled with mostly composted mushrooms and manure along with some ash and sterile top soil. From reading other's Glog's i am going to use Mychorizae around the roots when planting out as well as trying some compost tea next year. I have already ordered a lot of seeds from pepperlover (she is awesome as many have you have said) Needless to say I am already looking forward to next year. Hoping to try some crosses as well. I had no idea that there would be so many strains of peppers going into this!

Thanks for looking and please leave any suggestions you might have.

Much love,
Rom

very nice!  you're off to a great start.  maybe you can make a visit to Illinois and give me some tips!  good luck with the rest of the season - lucks like you're well on your way to a lot of heat.  take care.

great grow! loving the pics, and i think your plants are looking extremely heathly! Too bad about the TS, mine isn't doing so hot (if you'll excuse the pun). hopefully you get a great harvest off your plants.

Keep up the good work, and nice Glog :)
-Ben

buddy said:
very nice!  you're off to a great start.  maybe you can make a visit to Illinois and give me some tips!  good luck with the rest of the season - lucks like you're well on your way to a lot of heat.  take care.
Thank you. Lol, I think a little bit of luck has gone my way this year so far but i'm sure I can mess it up some how. Haha. Thanks for stopping in!

Jazzman1001 said:
great grow! loving the pics, and i think your plants are looking extremely heathly! Too bad about the TS, mine isn't doing so hot (if you'll excuse the pun). hopefully you get a great harvest off your plants.

Keep up the good work, and nice Glog :)
-Ben
Thanks, its a work in progress since it is my first time with this many plants. It seems every week I think of something I would like to do a little different. I'm sorry your TS is struggling as well. The move to its new home has helped mine it seems. It is getting more morning sun than afternoon now. Seems to like it. A few flower buds are starting to form but it will be some time before I see any pods. I hope to have a few before the season ends. Thanks for looking!

So I snapped a few pics of some pods the other evening.

9SEy4mS.jpg

A few Red Bhut pods. I think this is sunburn?? I did have a few that were rotting but pulled them off. BER was the culprit there (I think).

ld18c8m.jpg

Devil's Tongue

dV56Gux.jpg

Some BIG Bhuts. Most are about 3 1/2 inches long. Is that normal size for a Bhut?

0LTME5F.jpg

IfgL6m2.jpg

These are some funky looking Scotch Bonnet pods. Only on this plant do the pods have a little point. All the others are more of a traditional form.

That's it for now. I'm ready for some of my bhuts to start turning! It seems like they have been just hanging there forever.

Thanks for stopping in. Peace

Rom

Solem22 said:
Pulled in a mini harvest of Scotch Bonnets this evening.

5YnLU6l.jpg
Those are some fine looking bonnets. Looks like you got everything rolling and doing very well for a first year.

Those bhut look very gnarly. What are you gonna do with the peppers?

Keep up the good work, looks like your plants are happy you're their care taker.

, Walter

Vegas_Chili said:
Those are some fine looking bonnets. Looks like you got everything rolling and doing very well for a first year.

Those bhut look very gnarly. What are you gonna do with the peppers?

Keep up the good work, looks like your plants are happy you're their care taker.

, Walter
Thanks! Everything is moving along now that summer is in full swing.

I eat the scotch bonnets just while I'm around the house. I really like the flavor of them. I also cook with them but I have to let my wife get her portions first then I will throw them in the mix. She is NOT a fan of spicy food. I also will put them into a dehydrator and use them for powders and rubs. Last year I purchased what I thought was a Hab seedling from Lowe's but it turned out to be a Fatalii (which is what started this whole endeavor, I didn't know all these strains existed) and I have been making a sauce with the fataliis throughout the year. Once I have more pods I will try some new sauce concoctions.

I have never eaten a bhut before so I will probably do a pod test when they ripen. I am a little nervous about that one. Possibly going to make a video of it.

Thanks for stopping by.

Had a small harvest the other evening.

A bunch of Scotch Bonnets, Devil's Tongue, Orange Habs, two early Bhuts and a lone Tabasco
lcgCmOA.jpg

This was the first ripe Bhut off. Looks kind of funky... The smell was overwhelming.
g8zuFgM.jpg

I decided to make some sauce with most of the pods I pulled. I also added a cup of white wine vinegar, a cup of apple cider vinegar and two cups of pineapple juice. Along with about 10 cloves of garlic, two roma tomatoes and two cups of baby carrots. I took a little taste of it off a spoon and this stuff is  :hot:
G8hVu5N.jpg

I snapped a few shots this evening. There is a lot of colors in the garden and its got me excited.

Podzzzzz

Upskirt shot of some Devil's Tongue. This is becoming a favorite of mine to cook with and to eat raw.
4vcUctm.jpg

A few Devil's Tongue ripening.
JQ8EAYP.jpg

Bhuts
F1BXcfL.jpg

KlFXate.jpg

Scotch Bonnets
sunWP2y.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics. Probably need to invest in something other than a phone camera.
Thanks for stopping by.

Island_Dan said:
Doing a great job for your first time from seed. Congratulations! Awesome looking pods
Thank you very much. I'm learning as I go this year and I am already excited for next year! Planning on doubling the size if not tripling. We will see what the wife allows ;)  

So I guess it is time for another update...

FTmH2YQ.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Red

10Z9a1Z.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Red

tNskrLA.jpg

Tabasco

2BT6Qne.jpg

Tabasco

7XV9RKk.jpg

I bought this plant at a farmers market and it was labeled as a Trinidad Scorpion. My question is, does this look like an OG scorpion or more like a Butch T? No pods have ripened yet so I have not been able to do a taste test.

kH2bjmi.jpg

Devil's Tongue

95SQm2A.jpg

Another Trinidad Scorpion that I bought from that same vendor as the one above.

rRR16Af.jpg

This is a bhut that is not happy. I am not sure what the problem but it has quit producing pods and the previous pods have been not true to the first ones off of the plant. Does anyone have any ideas about this one?

PSwkCS6.jpg

Lastly, a harvest shot from this Sunday.

The pod production is slowing down on all the plants. We have had cooler temps here and I don't see it warming up again until the spring.

Thanks for stoppin by and keep on truckin' everyone.  :cheers:

p.s. Sorry for the large pictures.

Solem22 said:
Thanks! I would be happy to send you some if you are interested along with some of the other pods I have. Just send me your address if you are interested.

I've got a lot of bhuts at the moment, but thanks for the offer...

Wow, everything looks amazing! Loaded plants!

Those Tabasco are very eye catching. I love the way they look. Bhuts are looking good too. Well done :party: .

I had bad luck with my crop. High temps did it for me.I'm well prepared for next year tho.

, Walter

Spicegeist said:

I've got a lot of bhuts at the moment, but thanks for the offer...
Lol, yea I looked through your glog the other day. Looks like you already have your hands full. Good luck the rest of the season.
Vegas_Chili said:
Wow, everything looks amazing! Loaded plants!

Those Tabasco are very eye catching. I love the way they look. Bhuts are looking good too. Well done :party: .

I had bad luck with my crop. High temps did it for me.I'm well prepared for next year tho.

, Walter
Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear about your crop this year. If you would like some pods let me know.

Back