Fish pepper problem

I was wondering if someone could help clear some doubts. I bought from a legit site seeds of the fish pepper. Never grew them before. I bought them late so I decided to sprout only one seed to see if they were viable and to see what would come out of it because I was reading some time ago that a lot of fish pepper plants in the past years lost the white discoloration due to cross polination and bad breeding. So, the pepper sprouted two weeks ago and is growing great, it has 5 sets of leaves but no white stains. Should I worry? Does somebody know when can I expect some white stains?

Are they indoors? Stonger light seems to bring out the variegation. Indoors,mine started looking like someone peeled the epidermis off parts of the leaves,that was under flourescent light. When I went to HID lighting,the undergrowth started to turn white and more on top. Outside in full sun, they start getting a lot more variegated.

5 sets of leaves in 2 weeks...holy cow!

They don't look variegated as much when they are younger and as prod said in weaker light. Give them time and light and they should be variegated... If not I would be doubtful they are pure hot fish (in saying that they may be genetic freaks but unlikely)

ok, thanks everyone, I can see the thiner epidermis on the biggest leaves. Hope to se the variegation anda the stripes on the peppers.

Good luck with your fish pepper plant.  If they don't turn out right, if I get any peppers I can send you some seeds (provided it's legal to ship where you live??)

- but

I'm glad I saw this post.  My fish pepper plant's leaves were looking all screwy, turning white, but the plants next to them looked great.  I was afraid it was some sort of disease.

Now I won't go and ask a stupid question about what's making my fish pepper plant's leaves white and no one will be the wiser that I didn't know.  Glad I kept that a secret or people might think I was dumb!

Thank you for your offer. I realy don't know if it's legal or not, it never bothered me to check  :P

I guess the worst that could happen would be 'them' confiscating the seeds.  We could try.  Send me a message later on to remind me (if I don't remember) and I'll get your address and send them.

Back