• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

For us mater growers

Ok I am not trying to steal anyone's thunder here but I was wondering about perhaps having a mater contest this year.Your thoughts.

Kevin

What kind of contest do you have in mind? I'll definitely be trying to grow some giant tomatos this year, as well as other giant veggies

I plan on growing a few types but most of them will be run-of-the-mill maters that have a specific use such as juice, salsa or slicers. But I have a couple of extra containers and several different types of seeds so I will probably play along.

Mike

Why not several types - cherry, yellow, red, other color - and let people decide what to enter? Or just variety - Belgium Giant, Delicious, etc.?

My yellows did not do all that great last year. I got enough to make maybe four quarts of juice but I love their taste.

Mike

I was thinking a not variety specific smack down style contest. Maybe have different divisions like say grape/cherry beefsteake etc. Someone could help organize it. I know we have plenty of mater growers here.

Kevin

Kevin,

I like the idea of several categories and even largest tom. Thanks to the fair, I have additional space, plus I have some containers, so I can play around a bunch.

You came up with this, so start it off with divisions and we can always give you feedback. I have two extra packs of Giant Belgium seeds so if someone want 8-10 of them, PM me your addy and I'll try to to get them to you.

Mike

Just one point:

Those of us in the SH have already passed the halfway mark of our grow season, so we 'has what we has'. If you're too specific with variety, we're going to be excluded...

No offence but no matter what we decide, its going to be very hard to accomodate those in the southern hemisphere. I likely won't be starting tomato seeds for about a month and a half at which time I'll be up for any challenge

klorentz said:
I was thinking a not variety specific smack down style contest. Maybe have different divisions like say grape/cherry beefsteake etc. Someone could help organize it. I know we have plenty of mater growers here.

Kevin

What are we trying for. There's no way I'm going to be counting or weighing cherry toms. Maybe just best looking plant/pic would work here too

I would think largest tom would be one contest. It could be overall or by color (red, yellow, white, etc.). Best looking plant sounds good also, though mine would not stand a chance. I cut the bottom leaves off so my plants do not tend to look pretty!

Mike

huntsman said:
None taken. Why would it be difficult?

because
huntsman said:
"Those of us in the SH have already passed the halfway mark of our grow season"
and the rest of us won't likely be starting seeds until March and we don't want to base this around what you're growing. Theres likely very few people in the southern hemisphere that will be growing toms in their winter so designing this to accomodate 1 or 2 isn't really worth the extra trouble IMO. I also think to compare plants they need to be started at least in the same year:)

wordwiz;301241 I cut the bottom leaves off so my plants do not tend to look pretty! Mike[/QUOTE said:
I read about that technique last year. How long have you been growing tomato plants this way?

Back