• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gardening term: Something and drape?

Looking for term I heard but can not remember.  It is when you pull weeds in a row and then drape them between the plants as a weed barrier / mulch in place.  I think it was something and drape.  Any clue?

I imagine there is some clever rhyme or alliteration that you're looking for.  I cannot help with that.  I've only ever heard this referred to as "drape mulching".  Perhaps that's a good starting point for a Google search...

To be perfectly honest, drape mulching in the nursery is what we call it when we lay down the black impermeable nursery cloth.  So maybe I'm full of shit on that one.

Clean and jerk? No, wait, maybe your weeds aren't as big as mine.

Chop and drop? That seems to be a thing in permaculture.

But what I do, and what I think you may be talking about, doesn't involve chopping. I pull weeds up by the roots, then layer them on the ground so that the roots of each weed are on top of the top part of the previously pulled weed. That keeps the roots out of contact with the ground and prevents re-rooting. Except for the first one.

Back