• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Genuine Dorset Naga not Setting Pods

A friend and I are growing plants from the same batch of seeds. Mine are doing fine, but his 1 of his 2 plants is flowering and not producing pollen; thus, no pods are setting. His other plant is setting pods.
He'd like to know why there is no pollen and I don't know the answer. Anybody?

how old are the plants? are his plants in similar situation? i rather prefer growing in partial shade in my part of the world. thanks to a lot of trees around the perimeter of my house' property, i have enough shade to go around.

the heat might be a problem with setting pods.

there definately no pollen or no pollen seen? if you have doubts try giving I the finger and manual. but if there is definately no pollen try to move it somewhere else. but As franz said, maybe the age of the plant, if no success keep the buds off and try to attempt it later on?

His plants are the same age as mine (in fact I started and grew his until he came back to Thailand) and my plants are fine and so is one of his. It's only the one plant and yes, there is definitely no pollen. Cheers.

i also grow in partial shade the plants i grow that way do far better then the ones in full sun and i also get a lot more pods and bigger

Based on what you have said it is some sort of environmental factor affecting the plant, like a bug or sun/shade. It could always just be a genetically weak seed of course.

To diagnose the problem:
Confirm that the healthy and problem plants receive the same light, water, nutrients, attention etc.
Check the plant for signs of disease, like yellowing leaves, chew marks, huge colonies of mutha f@#$ing aphids! :hell:

Switch its position with one of the healthy ones and see what happens to both. (if they are in pots that is)

That will tell you more.

Post a pic if you can. someone might see something significant.

@ Sci Do you have shadecloth over your plants or just half the day in sun, half in shadow? I'm assuming you are doing it like that because of our vicious sun here in OZ.

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my Naga plant's flowering and but not producing pollen. I am growing mine hydroponically and my nutrients and ph are all in line according to the research I have done. I changed the light to High Pressure Sodium over a month ago in order to help with flowering and it definately helped the flowers.

I ran in to the growers that I got my Naga from (took the seed from the fruit) and they were saying that there was a world wide problem with some of the Naga seed last year, she said that her plants produced almost nothing last summer. Could the seed that I planted be sterile? Or am I missing something? I have heard that humidity may play a part as well.

Any advise would be welcome,

Cheers!

if you have multiple plant of the same variety and one of them produce polen try to uyse that polen to polenise the others

If you dont plan to keep the seeds you can also polenise with other pepper variety they will still give you the pepper you want but the seeds of those pepper might have cross-pol feature. but if it's for your own consumption go ahead! put polen on the flowers and Voila!

my first wave of peach bhut flowers was not producing nothing and kept falling off... 3 weeks later a second wave of flower was very productive!!!! just wait maybe it's just too soon in the season... maybe those plants have a biological timer into them and work with the length of daylights (even indoor??? just a theory)

my plants were planted in november december and now starts to give nice pods

Back